Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Costs of Touring

<< < (2/4) > >>

DaveB:

--- Quote from: staehpj1 on December 26, 2012, 04:53:29 am ---
--- Quote from: JLMcK4 on December 25, 2012, 09:45:52 am ---Thanks for the response! I think the debate between camping and getting hotels every night would depend on how expensive it would be to do either. I wouldn't mind camping every night, but there undoubtedly would be a few nights where I'd like to stay at a hotel. I'd like to get a beer or two a couple times a week, but I'm not a huge drinker. For food, I'd like to eat at local places, but nothing too fancy. Probably a lot of granola bars, fruits and other food to help me go each day.

--- End quote ---
Based on that my best guess would be $30 per day or a bit more, depending on your food/drink choices and how often you get rooms.

--- End quote ---
That sounds low to me, particularly if you expect to stay in motels even occasionally and eat out even once a day,  I would think an average of closer to $50/ day will be needed.  If you use all motels and restaurants, the cost will be in the $100/day range.  Those reports of under $20/day require a very spartan life style and being able to camp at no cost almost exclusively.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: DaveB on December 26, 2012, 07:10:57 am ---
--- Quote from: staehpj1 on December 26, 2012, 04:53:29 am ---
--- Quote from: JLMcK4 on December 25, 2012, 09:45:52 am ---Thanks for the response! I think the debate between camping and getting hotels every night would depend on how expensive it would be to do either. I wouldn't mind camping every night, but there undoubtedly would be a few nights where I'd like to stay at a hotel. I'd like to get a beer or two a couple times a week, but I'm not a huge drinker. For food, I'd like to eat at local places, but nothing too fancy. Probably a lot of granola bars, fruits and other food to help me go each day.

--- End quote ---
Based on that my best guess would be $30 per day or a bit more, depending on your food/drink choices and how often you get rooms.

--- End quote ---
That sounds low to me, particularly if you expect to stay in motels even occasionally and eat out even once a day,  I would think an average of closer to $50/ day will be needed.  If you use all motels and restaurants, the cost will be in the $100/day range.  Those reports of under $20/day require a very spartan life style and being able to camp at no cost almost exclusively.

--- End quote ---

There are lots of variables including locale and personal preferences so DaveB could be right, and only you can really say what will work for you.

FWIW, we averaged something like $5 per day for lodging on the Trans America due to staying for free a large percentage of the time.  It really wasn't hard to manage that.  I think we only paid for one room though and split it three ways.  We did avoid the more expensive campsites and asked for a cyclist discount where we did pay.  On the other hand we did stay in pay campsites more than absolutely necessary.

Food can vary a lot as well depending on your choices.  That said I can see $10 a day for food as doable and $30 a day as pretty plush.  I do generally have a fairly spartan touring style though.

indyfabz:
Mayber I am an oddity, but things like fruit, nuts and granola bars are the snacks I eat between the meals I eat before, during and after each day's ride. Breakfast at a local cafe or diner (say pancakes, some meat and coffee) is probably going to run me $7-8 dollars with a tip. Lunch probably $6-$7 dollars if I just get a sandwich, chips and a drink. I usually cook dinner, but if I don't, I count on least $12 with a tip for dinner not including drinks. Then there is the cost of snacks. That piece of pie or ice cream you cannot resist. Then there is camping costs if you cannot find a place to stay for free. (You can reduce costs by looking for public campground like local and state parks or U.S.F.S. campgrounds, which are often less expensive than private campgrounds.) And don't forget to budget for repairs and/or replacement parts like tubes and tires.

csykes:
Don't forget that you will probably be saving money on what you would normally spend at the grocery store and gas station if you were at home; that can offset the trip budget a little.

DaveB:

--- Quote from: csykes on December 26, 2012, 01:20:02 pm ---Don't forget that you will probably be saving money on what you would normally spend at the grocery store and gas station if you were at home; that can offset the trip budget a little.
--- End quote ---
Sure, it's not free to stay home and while you are traveling by bike your home expenses like gasoline and utilities will be a lot less so the daily cost isn't all a gross payout.   Nevertheless, you will need a certain amount every day to tour.  How much that is depends greatly on where you sleep and eat. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version