Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

2007 Trek Madone 5.0 for touring across the states

<< < (3/4) > >>

johnsondasw:
I have toured with a CF Specialized Roubaix and a Burley Nomad trailer and the combination worked very well.  I also used to own a Trek Madone 5.5 but sold it because of the double instead of triple chain ring setup and because it was fraught with repeated mechanical breakdowns.  The seat post bolts broke 3 times (and they were torqued correctly), one of the shifters just broke in half under normal use (Trek replaced it--a $237 fix if I had paid for it) and the rear casette just never worked--made terrible noises and slipped out of gear repeatedly and no one could figure it out.  That problem disappeared after I replaced it with another at my expense.  This all happened within a few thousand miles even though the bike cost more that twice the Roubaix.  It was light and fast and fun to ride, but durability is very high on my list.  I think perhaps the endless quest for lighter materials may lead to fragility. 

indyfabz:

--- Quote from: chummers on December 29, 2012, 06:12:18 am ---I do feel my bike would be extremely fast on the flats though.
--- End quote ---

Towing a full load, probably not.

nun:
If you weigh yourself down pulling a trailer you'll definitely want lower than stock Trek Madone gearing, but if you have a compact crank 50/34 (although I'd probably swap the 50 out for something like a 46) and a 12-25 or 12-28 rear cassette and you pack lightly you'll be fine.

Triple cranks and super low gears or trailers are NOT necessary to tour.

staehpj1 has some very detailed posts about how to successfully tour on a road bike, and here is my take on how to do it on a Cervelo RS. Ditch the trailer idea they are heavy and encourage you to take more than you really need. Get a gear list together, carry everything on the bike and pack efficiently.

http://wheelsofchance.org/2012/12/25/gear-list/

nun:

--- Quote from: indyfabz on January 01, 2013, 07:55:28 am ---
--- Quote from: chummers on December 29, 2012, 06:12:18 am ---I do feel my bike would be extremely fast on the flats though.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

If that "full load" is less than 20lbs you'll go plenty fast. Dont be constrained by the weighty dogma of touring. You can do fully unsupported touring with under 20lbs of gear if you try.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: nun on January 04, 2013, 09:11:46 pm ---
--- Quote from: indyfabz on January 01, 2013, 07:55:28 am ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

If that "full load" is less than 20lbs you'll go plenty fast. Dont be constrained by the weighty dogma of touring. You can do fully unsupported touring with under 20lbs of gear if you try.

--- End quote ---
I'll second that.  I found it surprisingly easy to get to well below 20 pounds of gear and well worth the effort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version