Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

2007 Trek Madone 5.0 for touring across the states

<< < (2/4) > >>

RussSeaton:
As already said, it will work, but not ideal.  Assume its the bike below.

http://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en/bikes/2007/archive/madone50

Gearing.  If its the double crankset, you are in big trouble.  You can get a 38 inner ring instead of the 39 stock ring.  Not much difference.  25 tooth big cog in back is not big enough.  You can get a 10 speed cassette from SRAM and/or Shimano with 11-34 cogs.  Low of 39x34 is not low enough to get you up mountains pulling a trailer.  Close, but probably not quite low enough.  A 39x34 low gear is problematic.

If you have the triple crankset, then you are OK.  Replace the 30 tooth inner chainring with a 24 tooth ring.  And still get the new 10 speed cassette with 11-32 or 11-34 gearing.  24x32 or 24x34 is a low enough gear to get you up any mountain.

Replacing the cassette will require a new chain.  If you have a short cage rear derailleur, you may also want to replace it with a long cage rear derailleur if you change the cassette.  Short cage will work, but may be problematic.

Tires.  The 23mm standard tires are not wide enough.  Get 28mm tires.  They will fit your rims and brakes.

Trailer will work fine with your bike.  I know someone who pulled a trailer with a Trek carbon racing bike.  It was a single wheel BoB trailer but two wheel trailer should pull the same.

DaveB:

--- Quote from: RussSeaton on December 28, 2012, 06:30:31 pm ---If you have the triple crankset, then you are OK.  Replace the 30 tooth inner chainring with a 24 tooth ring.  And still get the new 10 speed cassette with 11-32 or 11-34 gearing.  24x32 or 24x34 is a low enough gear to get you up any mountain.

Replacing the cassette will require a new chain.  If you have a short cage rear derailleur, you may also want to replace it with a long cage rear derailleur if you change the cassette.  Short cage will work, but may be problematic.
--- End quote ---
I agree with the triple crank being a necessity and the change of the granny to a 26 or 24T being highly recommended. 

The stock Ultegra rear deraillure will not work and it's not just cage length.  Ultegra rear derailleurs of that vintage, long or short cage,  are rated for a 27T largest cog and, while Shimano is conservative, it is very unlikely that anything bigger than 30T is going to work and even a 30T can be problematic.

If you are going to fit an Xx32 or Xx34 cassette you will have to get an MTB rear derailleur.  Any of Shimano's 9-speeed MTB rd's will shift perfectly with your STI brifters.  Do not use one of the new 10-speed MTB rear derailleurs.   

RussSeaton:

--- Quote from: DaveB on December 28, 2012, 08:55:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: RussSeaton on December 28, 2012, 06:30:31 pm ---If you have the triple crankset, then you are OK.  Replace the 30 tooth inner chainring with a 24 tooth ring.  And still get the new 10 speed cassette with 11-32 or 11-34 gearing.  24x32 or 24x34 is a low enough gear to get you up any mountain.

--- End quote ---
I agree with the triple crank being a necessity and the change of the granny to a 26 or 24T being highly recommended. 

The stock Ultegra rear deraillure will not work and it's not just cage length.  Ultegra rear derailleurs of that vintage, long or short cage,  are rated for a 27T largest cog and, while Shimano is conservative, it is very unlikely that anything bigger than 30T is going to work and even a 30T can be problematic.

If you are going to fit an Xx32 or Xx34 cassette you will have to get an MTB rear derailleur.  Any of Shimano's 9-speeed MTB rd's will shift perfectly with your STI brifters.  Do not use one of the new 10-speed MTB rear derailleurs.

--- End quote ---

Ignore most of the previous email.  You do not need a new rear derailleur.  A short cage or long cage Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur will shift a 32 rear cog.  Probably a 34 too.  But definitely a short cage shifts a 32 cog just fine.  Anyone who says it does not work does not know what they are talking about.  They seem to believe things written on paper are true without testing it in the real world.  My brother has an older Trek OCLV frame with a Shimano 600 short cage rear derailleur.  It shifts onto a 32 rear cog just fine.  Now the cage length will affect whether you have chain droop in some combinations.  Long cage allows you to use more gears without chain droop.  But both cage lengths will shift onto a 32 cog just fine.

chummers:
Thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting so much feedback in such a sort period of time.  Unfortunately my bike is a double instead of a triple crankset, which seems to be the biggest issue with the setup I'm looking at.  Seems like I might be better to just buy an older touring bike and get some saddle bags for my luggage.   I do feel my bike would be extremely fast on the flats though.

On the plus side just finished up a motorcycle tour here in Vietnam's central highlands, such a beautiful country.   I did see some bikers on the highway with their luggage, seems like might be going from Saigon to Hanoi or the other way around. Seems like it would be a decent
trip as well.

DaveB:

--- Quote from: RussSeaton on December 28, 2012, 09:54:43 pm ---[Ignore most of the previous email.  You do not need a new rear derailleur.  A short cage or long cage Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur will shift a 32 rear cog.  Probably a 34 too.  But definitely a short cage shifts a 32 cog just fine.  Anyone who says it does not work does not know what they are talking about.  They seem to believe things written on paper are true without testing it in the real world.  My brother has an older Trek OCLV frame with a Shimano 600 short cage rear derailleur.  It shifts onto a 32 rear cog just fine.  Now the cage length will affect whether you have chain droop in some combinations.  Long cage allows you to use more gears without chain droop.  But both cage lengths will shift onto a 32 cog just fine.
--- End quote ---
You are sometimes correct but often not and I'm not just "reading things on paper".  I have corresponded with many competent mechanics who have personal experience adapting Shimano road components to wider range gearing and am reporting their experiences.

If you got a Shimano road rear derailleur to shift a 32T cog, you were lucky that the frame's derailleur hanger was positioned to allow it.  There are widely varying reports about exceeding Shimano's specified largest cog limitation.  Some bikes won't even clear a 28T cog and others will indeed function with a 32T.  Just about nobody reports a 34t will work.   

Generalizing about Shimano road derailleurs:
A 27 always works
A 28 almost always works
A 30 usually works
A 32 sometimes works.
A 34 almost never works.

An MTB rear derailleur always works but I do agree that the OP can try his current rd and see.   He can always replace it if it isn't compatible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version