Author Topic: Hwy 1 chip seal petition  (Read 2198 times)

Offline jamespitton

Hwy 1 chip seal petition
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »
Friends, fellow cyclists and concerned stakeholders --

Caltrans has recently chipsealed 30+ miles of HWY 1 starting at Weymouth Drive in Cambria and ending at the Monterey County Line, which is north of Ragged Point. This road was once a highly desired place for cyclists with a variety of tours coming through. The method of chipsealing that employed large, sharp, angular aggregate has made this road dangerous and unbearable to ride. One of our club members experienced a fall leading to a broken hip, while countless others have suffered near misses, discomfort and damaged bikes.

We are requesting that Caltrans repair what they have done to this iconic road. We need your support.
Please click on the link below and sign the petition -- it will only take a moment. Thanks so much!
Oh -- and forward this request to anyone who cares about restoring this stretch of HWY 1 and/or preventing Caltrans from similarly damaging other stretches of this national scenic highway.

Cheers,
Sharon
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/restore-highway-one-cycling-in-northern-san-luis-obispo.html

Offline BOB Dean

Re: Hwy 1 chip seal petition
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:09:28 am »
Sharon, I tried to ride it last month and it was virtually unrideable.   Even the non-cyclist I met were upset about it.  Caltrans is getting an earful about this one, and I hear a fix is in the works.  Good luck because I love that road.  I wrote the San Luis Obispo newspaper about it.
Had Hw 1 north of the chip seal all to myself.   No cars, no wind, lots of sun.
Regards,
Bill

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:08 pm »
I live in a part of WA state that only uses this miserable type of chip seal and do most of my riding elsewhere.  My protests about this have made no difference--I've been told it's the most economical way to do it.  I now do most of my riding elsewhere now. I have noticed this type of road "improvement" being used more the past few years in other places, presumedly due to budget constraints.  Expect it to continue. Seems everyone wants great services and amenities but the idea of getting back to historical tax rates (especially on the wealthy) is anathema to many. When I was a kid, camping was free everywhere, there were no fees to park for a hike, I couold pay for a full year of college, room, board, and tuition, on a kid's  part-time job pay, etc.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline rholt

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:19 pm »
Unfortunately, CALTRANS seems to be posturing about finding a solution to this but so far has only tested one "solution" and it failed miserably.  I doubt there is a solution that won't be enormously expensive unless it is to just let traffic wear down the roughness.  In addition to the fact that most traffic won't be traveling on the same surface as bikes, even where it does occur it could take more than a year to achieve any semblance of decent pavement. 

If you can help keep the pressure on them by writing your state legislator and the governor, it would be appreciated and may be the only hope to get a timely solution.  Be sure to send a cc: to CALTRANS.

If you intend to ride Hwy 1 from Cambria to the SLO-Monterey County line, I highly recommend using the largest, most durable tires you can fit on your bike and try to limit your riding to times of little traffic.  This would mean weekdays or VERY early on weekend mornings.