Author Topic: Yorktown, VA to Irvine, CA  (Read 711 times)

Offline CM1384

Yorktown, VA to Irvine, CA
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:12:38 pm »
This is the path I'm set on.  I'd like to average about 100miles per day, but would be content with 80.  Anyone of experience with this route able to provide any tips?

Offline John Nelson

Re: Yorktown, VA to Irvine, CA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:23:18 pm »
You say "this route" as if there is only one way to get between these cities. There are thousands of potential routes. If you like the idea of following ACA routes, I'd follow the TransAmerica to the Western Express to the Pacific Coast. Of course, I might modify that recommendation if I knew when you planned to start and whether you were planning to camp or stay in motels. Give us some more information.

Offline CM1384

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »
When I plan to start isn't firm.  I could do anything besides the winter. Camping with occasional motels.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »
Then I'll stay with my prior recommendation. I'd recommend starting in late April. It shouldn't be too cold in the East and, at 100 miles per day, you can get through Utah and Nevada before the worst heat of the summer. If you average 100 miles a day, the trip will take you about 44 days and you finish by mid-June. If you average 80 miles a day you finish in late June.

Most people will tell you that you'll have more fun at 60 to 70 miles a day, but your plan is fine. You can probably camp 100% of the time if you want to save money. With the distances you plan, I suggest you pack light. Whether or not you want to go ultralight is up to you. Getting the ACA maps will help you plan your route, where to stay and where to expect services.

Other than that, all the standard advice applies. Take some fully-loaded test trips. Read some journals and pack lists. Read the how-to section on this site. Carry enough water. Use sunscreen. Ask questions.