Bicycle Travel > Routes

I quit a ST trip in2010. I was slow and ran out of time. Going ultralight. Tips?

<< < (2/4) > >>

John Nelson:
Well Dave, I think I'm helping you hijack this thread, but I'll address your comments anyway.

Yes, you can do 80 to 120 miles per day for four to five weeks. Most fit people can do it. You just have to decide if you want to or not. If you average 12 MPH, that's 7 to 10 hours a day. Even if you're very efficient at breaking camp, finding food, eating, finding camp, getting cleaned up, maintaining your gear, and setting up camp, it doesn't leave much time for fun. Meet an interesting person at lunch? Too bad. You don't have time to talk--gotta run. See an interesting lighthouse? Don't have time to check it out. Find a cool museum? Skip it. See a sign identifying the worlds largest tomato? You'll never know how big it is. Guy in the next campsite invites you over to roast marshmallows? You need to get to bed.

The ride will get to be a grind.

Westinghouse:
Go to Crazyguyonabike.com. Click for journals. Write going south in the rectangular box. Look for the name Peat. Click going south. A man and a young woman use Surley LHT bikes to cycle south into South America. If that young woman can do it, you can too. I went through the entire journal. It has the most engaging photos I have ever seen in any bicycle touring journal anywhere.

dwboca:
First, apologies to adlocopter for hijacking your thread.  Topic somewhat related and I do love the idea of ultralight touring.  Very interesting...

John - thanks for your response.  I feel better about my endeavor now.  I know it will be a grind but I kind of like that when I have a goal.  This is for the purpose of going cross-country on a bike and I have limited time because of work (and wife).  Next tour will be for enjoyment and I hope to take my wife on 30 to 50 mile days through Nova Scotia and parts of the US.  Maybe if she gets enthused, we will spend a few months and do the Trans Am together.

My LHT if interested:  http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10927.0;attach=1486;image

OK adlocopter, thread is once again yours, I relinquish control - thanks!

dave

adlocopter:

--- Quote from: dwboca on January 11, 2013, 04:27:48 pm ---I know it will be a grind but I kind of like that when I have a goal.  This is for the purpose of going cross-country on a bike and I have limited time because of work (and wife).

OK adlocopter, thread is once again yours, I relinquish control - thanks!

--- End quote ---
Wow I tried this exact same trip! In March I started a few miles up the road in Hilton Head but was in Savannah by lunch on my start day. I think I had a lighter setup than you might have. I had a Surly Cross Check and rear panniers with a bag on top of the rear rack. My bike was around 55 lbs loaded without the water and food for the day.

My ride turned out to become a grind from the start. The headwind was a constant and the panniers felt like big parachutes. If I coasted down a hill I was having to pedal by the time I got to the trough. I kept thinking things were going to get better but after 20 days I was burnt out on the experience.

One big thing for me was I couldn't stay on the road enough. If I started as early as the temperatures would allow I felt that by evening I was running out of light too soon. I would have to look for camping or a hotel since I didn't want to ride or setup camp in the dark. My next trip will be a few months later just because of daylight.

Hope you do well and think lighter! I was pretty lightweight compared to what I saw as the norm for tourers but looking back I was carrying 15 lbs of stuff I wouldn't take again.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread! Any info you get is good for me to hear also!

Gif4445:
My 2 cents worth.  I ride an LHT, but I weigh a little over 200 lbs, so I don't think the weight of the bike slows me down much.  Packing more than I need will however.  If you are on the light side and a comfort ride is not that important, ride something far lighter.  It will make a difference.   If I was in your shoes and just wanted to cover ground, I would credit card tour.  Pack light and just figure to stay in a motel each night.  Sure, there are days you will have to cover some miles, but that is the point of your trip right?  In my case, a comfortable bed (hopefully), warm shower and espn get me ready for the next day.  Especially if the day was a battle with mother nature.  I've read many journals on crazyguyonabike and my take is headwinds in various areas at various times of the year are somewhat predicable, but a C to C ride, cycling across many different regions, will be the luck of the draw.  I plan to go C to C sometime in the next 2 years, but I'm blocking out 2 months for the ST and thinking 2 1/2 for the Trans Am.  I don't think I would personally be happy if I tried to do it in far less time.  But I like to stop and smell the roses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version