Bicycle Travel > Routes

northern tier route Aug to Oct.

<< < (2/2)

indyfabz:

--- Quote from: dkoloko on January 10, 2013, 01:23:27 pm ---I finsihed Northern Tier in Oct, 2003, riding west to east. I finished before maximum fall foliage color. I encounterd hurricane winds, hail, torrential rain, and snow flurries, with temperature down to the 20s. Many campgrounds were closed.

--- End quote ---

Yeah. That part of northern New York and New England can go either way at that time. Snow in the Adirondaks is quite possible. We finsihed in August and had cold nights in that area, and many campgrounds start to shut down after Labor Day. And it was very cold and wet crossing Kangamagus.

John Nelson:

--- Quote from: indyfabz on January 11, 2013, 10:28:58 am ---it was very cold and wet crossing Kangamagus.

--- End quote ---
For me, it was cold and wet crossing Kancamagus in August.

davidldonaldson:
Living here in an Alaskan rainforest will teach you that what one person considers ride-able is another persons monsoon.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best and go have fun on your bike.

Happy Trails

jimbo:
Lisa,
In 2008 we started in Anacortes 8/20 and finished in Southern ME 10/20. We had very good Fall weather in the East  ( not much rain) but very cold mornings the last few weeks and difficult to find campgrounds that were open after Oct.1 Private campgrounds will be your best bet and depending on the route and how isolated it is you may not find them open either. The potential for misery with camping that  late in the Fall is high. Plan to have options that do not involve camping if you can. NT is a great route and you can shorten it up if need be. Enjoy the trip.

John Nelson:

--- Quote from: dkoloko on February 04, 2013, 08:14:30 pm ---http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=11285.0

--- End quote ---
I don't get it. That's a link to this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version