Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Realistic time requirements

<< < (3/4) > >>

John Nelson:

--- Quote from: freightbike on January 15, 2013, 12:51:13 pm ---I had thought of taking the northern tier route and ending in Minot or some place further west of that.

--- End quote ---
The NT no longer goes through Minot, and for darn good reasons.

freightbike:

--- Quote from: John Nelson on January 15, 2013, 04:35:32 pm ---
--- Quote from: freightbike on January 15, 2013, 12:51:13 pm ---I had thought of taking the northern tier route and ending in Minot or some place further west of that.

--- End quote ---
The NT no longer goes through Minot, and for darn good reasons.

--- End quote ---
Amtrak still does. Oh and now I remember, "May all you endless ups and downs be between the sheets! LOL

freightbike:
I think I may set up Miles City as a go, no-go point where if I make it to there by a certain date, I'll continue on to MPLS and if I don't or don't want to I'll end there and bus it home. I really want to tour that part of the west away from the interstates and major towns. I think I'll take Hwy 12 like Jamawani suggested because I like the road less traveled and figuring things out without set expectations and locals not being used to seeing bikes all the time.

Westinghouse:
Perhaps it is not a problem going 1800 miles in 30 days. I went from south Florida to Bangor, Maine in 22 days total and 20 days on the road. That was more than 1800 miles. If you run into a period of nasty weather or strong adverse winds, it could reduce your mileage significantly.

freightbike:
As an epilogue to this post I flew into Seattle on the 15th of june and rode out to the pacific coast between Grayland and Cape Disapointment then to Astoria and Portland. At Portland, I came to the realization that my level of fitness and hill climbing ability was not sufficient to continue in the time allotted. I was improving a bit day to day but as the saying goes, "I saw the elephant", and took the train home from Portland on the 23rd of june. Now I know what I must do to be successful as I've not been this time. If I want to do this I must lose much more weight and be much stronger. I cannot rely on trying to achieve that strength while on the hilly side of the ride. Next year to Portland then off to the passes and the plains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version