Author Topic: Generator Hubs and USB Devices  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Pat

Generator Hubs and USB Devices
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:19:16 pm »
Hi - This is probably an old topic, but it is new to me.  I didn't quite see what I was looking for.

BASELINE CONFIGURATION:  I just bought a new wheel with a Sanyo Sport Generator NH - H27,  6 Volt, 3 watt.  The documentation isn't answering my questions.  Powering front and rear lights is straight forward

ACCESSORY QUESTION:  What is required to recharge iphones, gps units, batteries, etc?  (I am seeing a number of products with lots of $$$$)

Thanks for your patience if this is old ground,

Pat

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: Generator Hubs and USB Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:12:55 am »
You are right; this is an old topic with lots of experience recorded right here. Rather than run the search for you, I will suggest the search box at the top of the topis list on the  Gear page.

Fred

Offline Dr. John

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:52:07 pm »
Pat, I just got a couple of items you might like.  One is an EZO power battery for <$40 from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/EZOPower-2-Port-External-Backup-Battery-7800mAh-Black/21550555).

Offline RussSeaton

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:55:32 pm »
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp

Busch&Mueller Luxos IQ2 U model is able to charge USB devices while riding.

Offline Pat

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:56:11 pm »
Thanks guys - I will check the stuff out - let you know what I decide - Pat

Offline vernonlevy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:59:50 pm »
iPhones if i recall correctly can be very selective in what voltage and current they will accept for charging purposes.  It is very important that you check that whatever device that you choose has an output that is suitable for charging an iPhone. Most other rechargeable devices are not so fussy.

For what it's worth I use a Busch and Muller eWerk which has a range of adaptors and adjustable voltages and currents.  I use it to charge my Samsung SIII GALAXY phone and HTC Desire HD.

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:53:28 am »
I have been looking around the interwebs for a few weeks, trying to find a complete (and hopefully accurate) package of information on the topic of staying powered up on tour. It's a perfect topic for Adventure Cycling's researchers and writers to tackle.

Here's what I'm finding:
1. The devices (we think we must have) on our bikes have small built-in batteries and can deplete their energy supplies quickly due to usage and possibly cold weather.
2. Some of these devices, such as a smartphone in GPS mode, require supplementary energy supply in the form of energy generation or an attached auxiliary power pack or they only last a few hours.
3. Devices and auxiliary power packs can be deeply discharged during the day's riding (or riding out a storm in a tent) and must be thoroughly recharged.
4. You have several options for the energy to recharge including AC power, hand-cranked generation, bike-powered generation, solar, secondary battery storage or fuel cells and other energy sources.
5. There is a direct correlation between the mass and cost of these auxiliary charging and generation systems and their ease of use which includes storage capacity, ruggedness and other factors.
6. The marketplace is crowded with a range of low- to high-quality products being sold to a largely uninformed public.

REI recently had a good discount on a product from Goal Zero, a 3.5 amp solar panel and a battery pack that holds 4-AAs. You can charge the pack from almost anything and you can pull energy from it to recharge your phone or other devices or you can use the AAs. MMy experiments so far indicate I can deplete the Goal Zero pack charging my iPhone to a total of 100% (one charge from 40-100% and one charge from 60-100%). The solar pack will NOT power anything, simply doesn't have the energy output, it's not large enough, but it will recharge the battery pack from 10% to 100% capacity in 6-8 hours of FULL sunlight.
So if I want to run the iPhone on the bike in mapping/GPS mode, I will need at least two of these auxiliary batter packs. One to carry on the bike and one to have recharging on the back of the bike or in camp.

More to come later as the season starts up.
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline Pat

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:20 am »
Hi,

I bought one of those at an REI used gear sale, complete with X on it.  I toured with it last summer, and was usually able to keep my old Garmin Edge charged with it, or the battery pack.  But I was always happy to see an unused outlet.  You can buy an insert which lets you charge AA or AAA batteries.

I also just bought an ORANGE JOOS, and it proudly sports another X on it.  I'm experimenting with charging and discharging it.  I need to find some better instrumentation if I'm going to do very much, though.

Thanks for the feedback,

Pat

Online Itinerant Harper

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:12:46 pm »
I wrote two extensive posts on my blog last year about my experience with various charging systems. Not a comprehensive overview - I tended to research extensively first and settle on a specific system. So these reports are based on my experience of a couple of systems on long tours.

Charging Systems
Charging Systems Revisited

Offline Pat

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:15 am »
I appreciate you having the courage to experiment while on tour.  And I am grateful you took the time to share your experiences in such an informative and entertaining matter.  You hit on many of the points that I've been considering.

Thanks,

Pat

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »
I wrote two extensive posts on my blog last year about my experience with various charging systems. Not a comprehensive overview - I tended to research extensively first and settle on a specific system. So these reports are based on my experience of a couple of systems on long tours.

Charging Systems
Charging Systems Revisited

IH, thank you for the links! Great reading and well-documented research.

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:58 pm »
Hi,I bought one of those at an REI used gear sale, complete with X on it.  I toured with it last summer, and was usually able to keep my old Garmin Edge charged with it, or the battery pack.  But I was always happy to see an unused outlet.  You can buy an insert which lets you charge AA or AAA batteries.I also just bought an ORANGE JOOS, and it proudly sports another X on it.  I'm experimenting with charging and discharging it.  I need to find some better instrumentation if I'm going to do very much, though.Thanks for the feedback,Pat

The Goal Zero Nomad 7 is twice the collection surface and delivers twice the energy output compared to the model I have, the 35 which is really "3.5."
I'll be riding all summer with the iPhone in GPS mode using MapMyRide and other apps, sucking power form the Goal Zero 4-AA pack or running from the solar panel which might be lashed to the fairing on my recumbent.

Offline dminden1

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 08:10:26 am »
Hi All
I have a B&M Son 20 generating front hub. it has about 6w power. I have it wired to a 'The Plug' which is inserted into the top of the steering tube. The Plug has a usb port. I mount my smart phone or light directly next to it and plug it in, easy as pie. I use my phone with iBike as my bike computer. I find the generator will keep the phone charged at whatever level it starts at. This is pretty phenomenal as the gps is going and sucks a lot of power. The light is no problem. In fact, a friend's light was dying, we plugged it in. After a few minutes it had enough power to come on from cold dead!
One note: I have to be going about 12 mph to get the smart phone charging, under that it wanes slowly.
Enjoy the touring.
Dave from Madison, WI