Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Traffic burnout?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MrBent:
Yeah, I get dirt.  The few sections we did on our Great Divide trike tour that were dirt were a a lot of fun--if slow and difficult on such rigs.  I think if I ever do a long tour again, it will be the Great Divide Mtn Bike Route on dirt.  These days I'm getting back into rock climbing--an original passion of mine--and I'm thinking about long-distance back packing, too.  NO cars on wilderness single track!

Scott

johnsondasw:
I guess I rarely get traffic burnout.  I ride all over the NW, esp WA and with the exception of a few roads rarely feel threatened. There are many rural options in WA that have very little traffic.  However, I also enjoy riding all over the city of Seattle, traffic or not.  For me, the key is the mirror.  As long as I can see what's coming from ALL directions, I feel I can control the situation to my satisfaction.
I actually thrive in the energy of the city and the peace of the country.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: MrBent on January 21, 2013, 08:15:44 pm ---These days I'm getting back into rock climbing--an original passion of mine--and I'm thinking about long-distance back packing, too.  NO cars on wilderness single track!

--- End quote ---
If you want to avoid traffic, backpacking rather than bike touring makes a lot of sense.

bogiesan:
Oregon has great alternative roads. Cycle Oregon knows every inch of every one of them. Idaho, on the other hand, usually has only one decent road that connects any two points and, after doing Ride Idaho for 8 years, I've ridden just about every inch of every one of them. The paucity of roadways in Idaho means you share them with everyone and everything. There are areas of the state where you can see one vehicle an hour for days at a time.

johnsondasw:

--- Quote from: MrBent on January 21, 2013, 08:15:44 pm ---  These days I'm getting back into rock climbing--an original passion of mine--and I'm thinking about long-distance back packing, too.  NO cars on wilderness single track!

Scott

--- End quote ---
I'm doing more climbing and hiking than biking these days, even at age 64. I sport climb once or twice a week in season and hike regiularly, too. I bike usually about once a week. If you are around WA, and want to colimb, let me know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version