Bicycle Travel > Routes

Canada mortorists

<< < (2/3) > >>

tonythomson:
Hi, I cycled a lot in Canada and for me in the touristy places it was the big RV Camper vans that worried me most. I use a mirror and if concerned about the vehicle coming up behind either get off the road or take control of the lane.  Although many would argue it's the guys coming from behinds responsibility and it is.  I just want to be in charge of my own destiny.
Good luck and it's agreat place to cycle.

Norsman:
I did a cross Canada ride last year and found the professional truck drivers, in particular long haul drivers to be fine. I was more worried about the large RVs.

The Sault Ste. Marie area was a bit of a problem on Highway 17. One section was particularly bad. However that was very short and then I got back to the usual narrow shoulder on the Trans Canada. A section of Hwy. 17 through SSM can be avoided by taking a trail (John Roswell Hub Trail) and then riding on alternate routes. On paper this route looks much better than Hwy 17 but I can't be sure because I used Hwy 17 through the whole area.

Once you get to Massey, about 135 miles (215km) east of SSM get off Hwy 17 and use Lee Valley Road to get you to Espanola.  From there the ride to and over Manitoulin Island is very nice. The top half of Hwy 6 on the Bruce Peninsula is newly paved and has a nice shoulder. South of Lion's Head the road reverts to poor shoulders but I didn't have any problems getting to Owen Sound. If you can avoid going down into Owen Sound do so.  Once you get to the old part of town any route out entails climbing a steep hill.

canalligators:
If there is any generalization about drivers, it's that suburban arterials and commercial zones are the worst, cities are ok if you keep your wits about you and ride predictably, and country is good as long as you can avoid the high volume traffic with no lane space.  IMHO, of course.  But even at that, it's all a generalization.  You have to learn to read the conditions.

Mcesaro:
Only been in the eastern part of Canada - Quebec/Montreal - but most of the roads had very narrow shoulders and even those were soft cinder. Not the best place for thin tires. Best approach has been to stick to the side roads. Much less traffic and no trucks, and you can ride further out into the main roadway without issue.

johnfoldberg:
Thank you for your reply!  I need to do another map study I'll get to Canada via MI not WI. 
V/r
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version