Author Topic: Englishman Orlando FL to DC trip  (Read 1102 times)

Offline hsdd1963

Englishman Orlando FL to DC trip
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:32:44 am »
I have just joined this forum as I am hoping for some route information about a coastal route from mid FL to DC on the Atlantic coast all the way. Would hope to fly into Orlando and fly back to the UK from DC. I want to stay in Motels or B&B's whilst on the trip. 60 miles would be an estimate of my daily distance. I would just want to get out of Orlando asap to meet the coast at about Titusville and then turn North. I Have heard a few horror stories about crappy/dangerous areas of downtown Orlando and I dont really like Cities. Any Info ideas would be very much appreciated. Prevailing wind and time of year to complete this also needed.

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: Englishman Orlando FL to DC trip
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »
Your found the right place, Howard. Welcome to the best resource for travel by bicycle in the U.S. The Florida Connector and Atlantic Coast routes look like exactly what you need. Check them out here.

You can find tales about every city of good places to be as well as bad places. I expect Orlando to be no different. At least you know from the ACA maps that a scout has visited and the food and lodging have been checked. Combined with TripAdvisor food and lodging, they are most useful.

Fred
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:39:57 pm by Fred Hiltz »

Offline hsdd1963

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:32:54 pm »
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the info. The FL connector seems to pass near to Orlando so a trail all the way looks favorite! Are the trails all traffic free or are some minor county roads used? - Im in the early stages of planning this kind of 'lifetime' trip, I usually have a week or two in France and am doing Holland and Germany in May so we are talking spring 2014.
Howard.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:34 pm »
The scouts pick trails where they can, but in this part of the country the route uses quiet back back road for--I'd guess--90% of the way. Perhaps some local riders will chime it.

Fred

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:45 am »
Hi Howard
just wondered where you are in the UK. I'm down near Winchester.  I also live part time just outside Orlando (Winter Gardens) 500m from the W Orange Trail which is part of the Florida connector.  If I'm around when you fly in you would be welcome.  Or if you are down south UK happy to catch up and give some info.  I did half the trip you are planning 2 years ago (had to be cut short for business reason) Some pics here www.tonystravels.com
If not all the best and you'll have a great time.
Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline hsdd1963

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45:24 am »
Hi Tony,
I live in West Oxfordshire and thank you for your kind offer, I will take you up on that nearer the time. I am looking for a major tour in the US and this looked to me to be ideal as flights from the UK are abundant to FL and back from DC. I would aim for early April start but could use some knowledge about terrain and prevailing winds, can you help with this? As a side issue would you be prepared to give a little insight into owning and living (part year) in the US. I have retired early and this may be a consideration for us, email me if you wish.
Cheers Howard
howard.downer@talk21.com