Author Topic: Route from West to East in September/October  (Read 1284 times)

Offline djzack

Route from West to East in September/October
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:10:44 am »
I am planning a cross country tour going from San Diego to Minnesota to Boston.  Has  anyone traveled these routes later in the year.  September to October.  I would be camping or Hosteling.  What is the weather like at that time of year?

Offline jamawani

Re: Route from West to East in September/October
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:53:44 am »
Logically - -
An autumn west-to-east trip is best done northwest to southeast, not southwest to northeast.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:53:51 am »
Check weatherspark.com for a half-dozen cities along or near your route.  That route and timing seems designed to maximize the temperature extremes.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:21:33 am »
It can vary year to year in the northeast. When I did the nothern tier many years ago, I remember having a campfire in Dunkirk, NY, just west of Buffalo. That was early August. Central VT and NH were also quite chilly, but we were farther north than you will be. This year there was some early snow in the mountains of northern, PA and sub-freezing nights in northeast, PA/northwest NJ by mid-October. I also think my old high school in Deerfied MA got some snow in late-October/early November. October can also bring Nor'easter storms.

Offline dkoloko

Offline djzack

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:31:25 pm »
Thanks for the info. 
The weatherspark web site is awesome.
I will take in advisement of all who responded.  I may change my route altogether.