Author Topic: Hartford CT to Pitt PA  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Mcesaro

Hartford CT to Pitt PA
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:08:05 am »
Ayone have suggestions on a route from Hartford CT to Pittsburgh PA, especially the PA portion? Thx
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:15:24 am by Mcesaro »

Offline JMilyko

Re: Hartford CT to Pitt PA
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:30 am »
Hi,

You might start your route planning with resources from the Pennsylvania DOT:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/Bureaus/pdBikePed.nsf/BikePedHomepage?openframeset

Hope this helps,

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:46 am »
PA has a series of signed bike routes. I have looked at some of them and think they are nuts in places. Some scary, high-traffic roads. I think I understand why they did what they did--they want to use state-maintained roads, but that doesn't make it right.

Also, a while back all the links I had bookmarked stopped working and I have not bee able to find a link that takes you to the index that in turn allows you to see each route.

Here is a PDF of the route network:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/bikes/bicyclepa.pdf

Here is what I think is the easiest way to get the maps for each route:

http://www.pahighways.com/other/bicyclepa.html

Click on the internal "maps" link for each route. That will produce an overview map of the route. Click on each circled number segment to see the individual segments. If you clink on the "directions" link, you will get a cue sheet of sorts.

Here are some suggestions with the disclaimer that I am not familiar with some of the roads/routes I am suggesting:

1. You could follow ACA's Atlantic Coast Route from Windsor Locks to Port Jervis, NY. From there, you can cross into PA at Matamoras and pick up the spur of PA Route Y, map segement 29B. Take that to main Route Y and follow that to Route G. Take Route G all the way down to Bedford. Using Google biking directions, get biking directions from Bedford to Cumberland, MD (It should give you three options.) Cumberland is the southern terminus of the Great Allegheny Passage rail-trail. That will take you very close to Pittsburgh. In fact, by sometime in June the last sesment into Pittshburgh is supposed to be completed.

2. Do 1 above but at Bedford, get on Route S west, gets onto the GAP trail at Rockwood (map section 9).

3. Take the ACA route all the way to Conshohocken, then take the Schuykill River Trail to PA Route S.

A couple of notes:  I haven't been up there lately, but it's my understanding that natural gas fracking activity has increased truck traffic on the northern tier of PA, which is used by Route Y. The good news is that you leave U.S. 6 and jump on Route G at Ansonia.

Can't tell you much about Route G except that it uses a porton of the Pine Creek rail-trail, which is very nice, and that it passes through the heart of Pennsyltucky. Expect hills when not on the trail.

I am a big fan of the ACA route south of Port Jervis through Lambertville, especially the section through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. You then continue down the river on nearly all quiet roads in PA and NJ and can pick up a rail-trail between Frenchtown and Lambertville, NJ. The eastern part of Route S also takes you through the Conoestoga Valley, which is quintessential PA Dutch. However, I understand that option 3 suggested above is the long way around. I live in Philly and am hoping to ride the GAP/Route S home from PGH in mid-April.

Send me a PM if you have any questions or would like more info. There are slight modifcations I would make to the eastern part of Route S based on my riding experience.

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:56:49 am »
indyfabz,

Thanks for replying with more information about the PA Bicycle Routes. We've heard they are dicey in some spots so your feedback should be especially helpful to Mcesaro in planning a great route!

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:00 am »
No problem. I think the single craziest section I have seen is on Route J coming out of Harrisburg. U.S. 22/322 can have very heavy and fast traffic depending on the time of day. While there is a shoulder (complete with rumble strips that push you towards the guardrail), it would be miserable riding when it's busy. To see this, one need only use Google Street View for the stretch of U.S. 22/322 betweent the city and the bridge crossing the river and understand that the traffic you see can probably be considered on the light side. Route J then continues up the Susquehanna on U.S. 11/15. That can also be busy and noisy.  depending on the time of year and day. Yet on the other side of the river you have much prettier and quieter SR 147, which also has a shoulder. Route J doesn't pick up SR 147 until Northumberland, which happens to be right where it narrows and becomes choked with trucks and other traffic crossing the river on U.S. 11. They would have been better off staying on U.S. 15 to the college town of Lewisburg and crossing over there.

In general, the lack of/narrow shoulders on many PA roads is probably the biggest drawback to riding in the state.

OP: Something else came to mind. Route G skirts the edge of Jersey Shore, PA (See the bottom right corner of map section 15). The Pine Creek Trail has been extended to Jersey Shore:

http://www.visittiogapa.com/railtrail.html

No need to leave the trail at Blackwell. You can take it all the way to Jersey Shore and pick up the route again there. My guess is that they planned route G before the extension and never changed it.

Offline Mcesaro

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:37:15 am »
Many thanks for the info and the links,  Any suggestions on getting more info re. GAP?  I'm riding a road bike with skinny tires.  Will need pavemet.....  Thanks again!