Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

Bob Yak Trailer? XCountry tour, thoughts?

<< < (2/5) > >>

newfydog:
I've had several friends join us for a section of the great divide who used a BOB.  It worked, but every one of them switched to panniers (usually just two) for their next tour.

aggie:
I did the ST using a BOB.  No problems and would do it again with a BOB.  Check out the other threads for opinions on trailers vs panniers.

mailoto:
I took the bob on a 5000km tour this summer nothing but problem's. I had 4 or 5 bent hangers and the hooks where the bob connects to the SQR bent. I'm doing a tour to vancover this summer im switching to panniers. Good luck on your upcoming tour!

Elbrento:
I use a BOB and am very happy.  The factory tire is not very good and can only air to 35 psi.  I changed it to a very durable 100 psi tire smooth road tread and have no problems.  Also, zip tie the BOB tire on the underside of the trailer.  I like the BOB because I can easily drop the trailer and then tour around town.  I did change out my back rim to a strong touring type, but would have to do this anyway with a pannier set up.  No broken spokes and no problems.  Some say the additional 13 pounds of the trailer is an issue, but the Arkel GT-54 rear panniers weigh 6.6 lbs (Arkel) and the fronts are 4.2 lbs.  The is 10.8 lbs verses 13 lbs for the BOB.  The difference is 2.2 lbs.  Big deal.  I really suggest taking an extra skewer and connection pins.  If you lose the connection pins or break a skewer in the middle of nowhere, you are screwed.  Enjoy your BOB.  I really enjoy mine. 

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: Elbrento on February 09, 2014, 09:59:08 am --- Some say the additional 13 pounds of the trailer is an issue, but the Arkel GT-54 rear panniers weigh 6.6 lbs (Arkel) and the fronts are 4.2 lbs.  The is 10.8 lbs verses 13 lbs for the BOB.  The difference is 2.2 lbs.  Big deal.

--- End quote ---
That may be the case, but you are comparing the Bob to a very heavy set of panniers.  It is possible to go a lot lighter than Arkel GT54 panniers. 

How big of a deal the extra weight is depends on your packing style.  If your alternative is GT54s and front panniers heavily loaded then yeah the trailer is not hugely heavier.  If you pick all of your gear with light weight in mind and pack lightly then the Bob is a big weight penalty.  I have done some long camping and cooking tours with my total gear and bag weight comfortably less than the empty Bob.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version