Author Topic: Spurs from airports to main routes  (Read 867 times)

Offline BikeFreak

Spurs from airports to main routes
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:58:54 am »
This is a suggestion for the mapping team:

When doing a cross country tour, it is my impression that most cyclists arrive at an international airport and start to look for all sorts of transportation solutions to get to the starting point. People consider renting cars, going by bus, amtrak, having the bikes shipped by UPS to a local bike shop etc etc. All solutions require lots of planning, confusion etc etc.

It is also my impression that most cyclsist would love to assemble the bike at the airport and hit the road straight away. The problem with airports is typically heavy congested areas, lots of traffic and limited accomodation. You might arrive at the airport during late hours and have great difficulties orienting yourself.

Summer 2012 I biked across USA following the Transam and arriving at Washington Dulles International Airport. I decided to go straight for the Transam at Rockfish Gap and not backtrack all the way to Yorktown. Thus, I needed at route from the airport to Rockfish Gap. This was accomplished by using Google Maps and carefully study the roads. I also found a private campground on the way to Front Royal, VA which was part of my route. Then I printed a park map for the Skyline drive which would take me all the way to Rockfish Gap. On the park map all accomodations were listed and this information was extremely useful.

I think it would be of great value for many cyclists to have such a "spur" (which you use frequently on your maps already) where a main route is connected directly to a major airport.

Lucas

Offline John Nelson

Re: Spurs from airports to main routes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:16:04 pm »
Wow, Lucas, that's a great suggestion! Although the ACA does include many spurs into main cities, more would be better. How to get from Dulles to Yorktown is a very frequently asked question on this forum. Other common questions are how to get from the Seattle Airport to Anacortes, or from the Bangor airport to Bar Harbor, or from the Portland airport to Astoria, or from the San Diego airport to Imperial Beach.

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:07 am »
This is a great suggestion and we do try to keep this in mind when laying out new maps. On older maps, if we know of routing available via another source, we include a link to it in the Riding Conditions.

If you have the information handy for the situations you described, you can post it to the forums for others and/or send it to us.

Thanks!

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline BikeFreak

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »
This was my route from Washington Dulles to Rockfish Gap:

http://goo.gl/maps/4xyRx

Notes:

Stretch from Airport to intersection US50 quite busy (mainly Old Ox road). But only passenger cars.

From US50 all the way to Front Royal very calm and pleasant. Except last turnoff just before Front Royal where traffic leaves interstate to reach Front Royal. Note there is a nice frontage road all along the interstate.

On Shelter Ln there is this private campground: http://www.greenvillecampground.com/ which was very expensive - more than 20 dollars I think.

From Front Royal to Rockfish Gap follow the Skyline Dr which is very beautiful - much more beautiful than the Transam Blue Ridge Parkway stretch. Extremely useful map is found here: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/whole_park.pdf
Watch out for black bears.

Lucas

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:00 am »
Lucas,

This looks like some great information that would be very helpful to other cyclists!

Thanks for posting it.

.Jenn.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes