Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

Saddle bags versus trailer in tow: Which is better for a cross country trip?

<< < (3/3)

johnsondasw:
I never noticed any of the above problems when towing a Burley Nomad 2-wheeled trailer.  I did notice how convenient it was to pack and to unpack it.  And I think the headwind resistance was reduced using the trailer as compared to the panniers.  Also, steering is much better with a trailer because you don't have the weight of the bags on the front wheel.  I will not go back to panniers.  If I'm carrying a lot I will use the trailer, but my new plan is to get into very light gear ( ai already have most of it) and just go with rack and straps, handlebar bag, seat bag and if necessary a small camelback/pack deal. 

james2u:
Hi  We use either panniers or Burley Nomad two wheel trailers. To determine the difference if any between the two fully loaded, we decided to test the two with a  mapped out a 32 mile route with hills and level roads. All conditions the same we did not find a any difference between the two modes of load hauling with speeds and times.
We personally met a Aussie woman who was thrown off her bike into a side road ditch and laid there unconscious for several hours until somebody diving by spotted her, her Bob one wheel trailer lost control downhill and whipped her right off her bike.
Two wheel trailers can provide table space with the optional rack attached and conjuring up a plastic sign board to place on top.
Cara

newfydog:
Well, I have done several trips with trailer people, and they all came back next year with panniers. 

If you can go rather light, you can skip front panniers.  Trailers are often compared to a four pannier ride, and even then, they are  heavy.

Souc:
I prefer panniers as well.   Just don't purchase giant rear panniers and overload your back end.   I think my bike handles really well with medium sized panniers in back and small front panniers mounted on low-rider style front rack. 

The danger of large capacity (trailer or pannier) is that it is tempting to bring along too many items that you cannot live without.... you know, otherwise know as stuff. 

Dave

dkoloko:

--- Quote from: Souc on April 06, 2013, 03:44:20 pm ---I prefer panniers as well.   Just don't purchase giant rear panniers and overload your back end.   I think my bike handles really well with medium sized panniers in back and small front panniers mounted on low-rider style front rack. 

Dave

--- End quote ---

Maybe best for you. Tests show best to have more weight on front, or at least have equal weight front and back. For that reason I see no reason for smaller bags on front. I use same size medium rear bags front and rear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version