Author Topic: running route 66  (Read 1172 times)

Offline arbernet

running route 66
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:05 pm »
New to forums so bear with me. I am looking for information regarding a trip I am involved in this summer. I am the navigator for Steve Spear www.runningforwater.com who is running from Santa Monica to Brooklyn via route 66 and Chicago. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline roadrunner

Re: running route 66
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:34:07 am »
There are several Route 66 websites and books that provide information on where Route 66 roads still exist and points of interest along the way.  In many locations different allignments were use at different times, so there are choices of routes.

In a nutshell, here are my experiences bike touring portions of Route 66: 
California - I haven't ridden any of the route. 
Arizona - the old road is present across about half the state, mostly east of Flagstaff, with long stretches between "civilization." 
New Mexico - portions of 66 are present, separated by stretches where I-40 eliminated 66.  Originally 66 went north (through Santa Fe) and south of Albuquerque; later straight east-west through Albuquerque.  Long distances between towns. 
Texas - 66 is present about 3/4 of the way across the panhandle, mostly as frontage roads to I-10.  Flat and pretty boring.
Oklahoma - 66 exists all the way across the state; west of Oklahoma City much is I-40 frontage roads.
Kansas - all 13 miles still exist!
Missouri - 66 from the west border to Springfield is present as minor highways.  East Springfield, I-40 eliminated some portions.  Very hilly in center of state.
Illinois - essentially all of old 66 is present, about half as I-55 frontage roads.  Generally flat as a pancake.

Check bike journals of Route 66 tours on this site and CrazyGuyonaBike for much greater detail.

Take time to enjoy the many interesting places along the route.

Offline roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
A thought I didn't mention in the previouse post.  If Steve isn't wedded to Route 66, a more enjoyable alternate route across much of Missouri would be to go north from a bit west of Springfiled to Clinton, Mo, and pick up the Katy Trail.  The trail extends 225 miles from Clinton to St. Charles, about 30 miles from St. Louis.  The Katy Trail (http://www.bikekatytrail.com/) is a level, traffic-free route mostly along the Missouri River that would avoid the hills and I-40 of central Missouri.

Offline CMajernik

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59:17 am »
Here is more information on biking Route 66 in New Mexico and Illinois:

Developed by the League of IL Bicyclists - http://www.bikelib.org/maps-and-rides/route-guides/route-66-trail/

Developed by Chris Marsh:
http://www.bicyclemaps.org/rt66/Route_66/Welcome.html
Go to Maps, then you can download the pdf at the top of the page.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline arbernet

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:19:24 am »
Thanks for the replies. This is great info. Turns out I will be driving out to Santa Monica from Chicago as I position a support vehicle. I will be able to get a first hand look and I will take these suggestions.

Offline mathieu

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:50:40 pm »
I don't know what ACA has planned for the route between Ash Fork - AZ and Williams - AZ. As far as I know the original Route 66 is completely replaced by Interstate 40. To bypass this 19 mile long section involving 1600 ft of climbing, I took today County Rd 142, also signed as Double A Ranch Rd, out of Ash Fork. After 4.8 mi the road changes to FR-124 but keeps its name Double A Ranch Rd. It soon becomes a dirt road with a good red-brick surface, until it gets paved again a couple of miles before Williams. It is a rolling, very scenic road. Of course it also involves at least 1600 ft of climbing and totals 29 miles, but in a quiet setting without diesel fumes. Dirt roads are also less risky for punctures than the shoulders of Interstates. Part of FR-124 runs along the Santa Fe railway. I saw 8 freight trains passing in the 2 hours I was on this road, more than cars and motorcycles. There is no way of getting lost if you keep the two numbers County Rd 142 and FR-124 in mind, because the main road is much broader and much better maintained than the side roads ending on it. While a dirt road may not be liked by all cyclists, I would recommend it at least for eastbound Route 66 travel. Westbounders might try to outpace the heavy trucks descending on the Interstate.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:42:54 am by mathieu »