Author Topic: Southern Tier Tour: Bubba Verus ACA Routes  (Read 2047 times)

Offline scslowrider

Southern Tier Tour: Bubba Verus ACA Routes
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:09:32 am »
I leave very shortly for the ACA Southern Tier Tour. I am thinking of altering the route, and I would welcome any advise. Bubba, who runs a well respected commercial tour, leaves San Diego then goes through Yuma AZ, Casa Grande AZ, Tuscon AZ, El Paso TX, and Marathon TX. Bubbas tour "rejoins" the ACA  Southern Tier Route around Kerrville TX. In other words, Bubba's route runs further south into the desert and hugs the Mexican border. The ACA route winds around in the mountains about 150 to 200 miles to the north. So:

Bubba's route appears to be considerably flatter than the same portion of the ACA route (maps 1 and 2).
Bubba's route covers lower ground than the ACA route. It might get very cold in the mountains in early March. Sure the mountains are pretty, but I am looking to minimize the amount of climbing I have to do early in the tour. Are there any reasons why I should not take "Bubba"s" route? Has anyone taken "Bubbas" route?

A lot of people tend to bicycle tour during the summer. During the summer, Bubba's desert route might be impossibly hot, and the ACA route in the mountains would be the way to go. But in March I think Bubba's route is the way to go. BTW, It got down to 20 F last night in Silver City, NM on the ACA route.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:58:26 am by scslowrider »

Offline SlowAndSlower

Re: Southern Tier Tour: Bubba Verus ACA Routes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »
Bubba is a fully supported tour route with some segments through areas with minimal services. Rodeo, New Mexico to Columbus, New Mexico is one such segment. Just saying be prepared.

Offline scslowrider

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:27:54 pm »
Slower and Slower, thank you for your reply. You have brought up an excellent point. Does "be prepared" mean take plenty of extra food and water? I am not an experienced touring cyclist, would you please explain the extra measures that you would take if you were taking Bubba's desert route.

I understand that the US Border Patrol is very active in this area. So, even though this area is remote there should be a fair amount of passing traffic and people.  I posted on this board to get advise from experienced touring cyclists.  I am very glad to get all the advise that I can. Slower and Slower, if you think Bubba's route is too challenging for a newbie cycling tourist, please say so. Having a safe tour is the most important thing to me.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:45:39 am »
Hi this is approx route that I took and really a little bit of planning - as with any tour - and you will be fine.  I don't remember ever being that far from some kind of service.  Near the border I pitched my tent as close to the Border Patrol check points as they would let me. 
Really had no problems at all.  Loved it.
Good luck
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline SlowAndSlower

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:34:57 am »
March things start to warm up in Arizona and the 94 miles between Rodeo and Columbus, NM is pretty dry and lonely except for Border Patrol. See CrazyGuyOnABike for some journals. Search Rodeo Columbus. Also Bubba has posted a journal there as well.
You have to make your own decision. I would not hesitate to do the Bubba route but I grew up in the southeast Arizona and ride the desert all the time.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:08:18 pm by SlowAndSlower »

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:55 am »
Sounds like Bubba takes the interstate. The interstate always has a safety lane, but it can be very rough and unmaintained in long stretches. All towns are close enough together that a minimum of planning will get you through each day. I take the interstate  too. You can get on it in Junction, Texas or perhaps farther east, and follow it for most of the way to San Diego. You can get in the miles. I did about 125 miles one day from Van Horn to El Paso.

Offline msullivan

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:03:00 pm »
I recently (2 weeks ago) did the ACA route from Phoenix to El Paso. We only deviated  from the route by going down to Lordsburg. We then got back on the ACA route in Silver City. We stayed on Rt.152 E  over Emory Pass to Kingston, NM. That was the hard day, with over 4,000 feet of climbing. Emory Pass is at 8,228 feet. But it wasn't that hard. It's only 46 miles from Silver City to Kingston and the last 8 miles are downhill. The age range in our group was 59 to 65 years old. The ride through the mountains is spectacular and not to be missed. The air smells so good. The view from the Emory Pass vista is incredible. By the time you ride into New Mexico, you will be in pretty good shape. I am so glad we chose this route. You will be very proud of yourself for climbing over the Rockies instead of going around them.

Offline travelinjo

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 06:21:49 pm »
I will be heading out along the southern tier--leaving from Carlsbad NM and joining the route in El Paso. What route does Bubba take from San Diego to El Paso, going through Tucson instead of Phoenix?
Thank you!!
Jo

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:28:18 am »
I google mapped highway 9 out of El Paso going west. All I found was roadway. I could not find any towns at all, so I forgot about 9. Another post here says there are three towns on 9.