Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

Beginner out and back camping in NW?

<< < (2/2)

indyfabz:
If you don't mind some dirt, drive to Philipsburg. At the Sinclair gas station, turn right off MT 1 onto MT 348, climb the hill and descend to the memorial bridge across Rock Creek. Leave your vehicle there are ride down stream to this place:

http://ekstromstagestation.com/

Ask for (or reserve ahead) site 21, which is close to the creek. There is also a cabin available for rent. The food is darn good so you don't need to bring cooking gear. (There is nowhere to buy groceries anyway.)

IIRC, it's about 30 miles of unpaved surface and 9 or so more of paved road. (Either that or 20 miles of dirt and 9 of pavement.) Beautiful back there. Several places you ride right next to the creek. Lost of forest, too. Virtually traffic-free when we rode it in '11. Except for a few spots it's like riding on a rail trail grade-wise. Any noticeable up hill sections will be short. Our Surly LHTs with 32c tires easily handled the surface. Keep your eyes peeled for moose. Near the end of the dirt portion there is a neat cable and wood suspension bridge across the creek. Not long after you pick up pavement there is an outfitter on the right called Trout Bum. The owner makes good coffee and has a neat collection of flies. Other than that there is nothing commercial until the campground, so bring enough food a water.

erniegrillo:
Try the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes.  From Plummer Idaho past Wallace to Mullan...  over 70 miles one way,  following the river and the lake...   Flat, great scenery and nice places to stop, eat, and sight see.  One of the premier rail trails in the USA
friendsofcdatrails.org/CdA_Trail/index.html

johnsondasw:

--- Quote from: erniegrillo on February 28, 2013, 04:02:49 pm ---Try the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes.  From Plummer Idaho past Wallace to Mullan...  over 70 miles one way,  following the river and the lake...   Flat, great scenery and nice places to stop, eat, and sight see.  One of the premier rail trails in the USA
friendsofcdatrails.org/CdA_Trail/index.html

--- End quote ---
Yes, truly a gem.  I took my wife on this and stayed in the hotel at Kellog that has the ski run starting at it.  On day 2 we went up and back from Kellog to Mullen.  I thought Wallace was one of the coolest western towns I've seen.  Mullen---not so much.
It is not really flat from Kellog up to Mullen.  It is steady uphill and gets steeper near the top, although it's never really steep at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version