Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

Camping Gas/stove

(1/6) > >>

sal99:
Hi, I am setting off on the Transam route this summer and will be camping. Coming from the UK I have always used a single burner stove fueled by small canistors of Calor gas when camping. These have been fine for 2-3 week tours but I realise I will need something else for this type of long trip. I am planning to purchase when I arrive in the States (New Jersey) and would appreciate any info on single burner stoves and the appropriate fuel that is easily available.

Westinghouse:
Coleman Feather 442           Alcohol stoves        Gasification, forced-air, woodburning stoves.  They're on youtube.

DaveB:

--- Quote from: Westinghouse on March 17, 2013, 08:04:34 am ---Coleman Feather 442           Alcohol stoves        Gasification, forced-air, woodburning stoves.  They're on youtube.
--- End quote ---
Gasoline (Petrol) stoves can be refuled at any service station. "Coleman Fuel" is a cleaner version of the same thing and available in most outdoor and even big-box stores but only in gallon containers. 

Multifuel stoves can use petrol, kerosene, mineral spirits, etc. so you have a lot of choices and fuel sources but the stoves tend to be more expensive.

Fuel for alcohol stoves can purchased at most hardware and big-box stores but, again in large containers.  Also, alcohol has a much lower energy value per volume than petrol so you will need more of it.

Wood burning stoves require a source of dry wood sticks and they aren't always available.

Compressed gas stoves (usually a propane/butane mix or straight butane) require proprietary cannisters and you can't always find the right one.  Also, you can't bring them on an airplane so you would have to use a type available in the US and widely distributed.

staehpj1:

* I have had trouble finding canisters on my tours in the US.  So I don't usually tour with a canister stove.
* I dislike the stink of gasoline so I don't use it.
* Coleman fuel is often only available by the gallon so I avoid using it.
* Wood gas stoves are OK but leave the pot sooty.  I do think you can find sufficient fuel even in the desert.
* Alcohol is my choice.

Pat Lamb:

--- Quote from: DaveB on March 17, 2013, 09:28:58 am ---Multifuel stoves can use petrol, kerosene, mineral spirits, etc. so you have a lot of choices and fuel sources but the stoves tend to be more expensive.
--- End quote ---

You can fill up a pint (or quart) fuel can at any gas station in the country with your choice of gas (petrol) or diesel.

Alcohol is almost as widely available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version