Author Topic: D&R Canal Trail - Road Bike  (Read 929 times)

Offline dwrz

D&R Canal Trail - Road Bike
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:29 pm »
Is is possible to ride the D&R Canal Trail on a road bike? Or are mountain wheels necessary?

Offline nextstop

Re: D&R Canal Trail - Road Bike
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 01:08:37 pm »
Hi!

Although the canal is a wonderful trail- mtn tires are definitely a necessity.  I've ridden approximately 30 miles of it and there are areas that are cobblestones.   There are small sections you can ride on a road bike, but you'd have to plan ahead.  If you are absolutely determined to ride it on a road bike, be prepared to walk your bike numerous times. 

Tina

Offline dwrz

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 05:24:37 pm »
Thanks, Tina!

A few questions:
1. Which section of the trail did you ride?
2. Do you think the cobbles are so bad that even 32mm tires wouldn't suffice?
3. I've heard that the campsite is closed this year. Do you know of any nearby areas where one could camp?

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:38:23 am »
Hi!

Although the canal is a wonderful trail- mtn tires are definitely a necessity.  I've ridden approximately 30 miles of it and there are areas that are cobblestones.   There are small sections you can ride on a road bike, but you'd have to plan ahead.  If you are absolutely determined to ride it on a road bike, be prepared to walk your bike numerous times. 

Tina

I have been corresponding with the OP on another forum. I have never ridden the path along the main canal (Trenton to New Brunswick), but I have ridden the entire path along the feeder canal between L'Ville and Frenchtown and some portions south of there towards Trenton on my road bike with 23c tires. No problemo, and I don't recall any cobblestones. Depending on the condition of SR 29 above Stockton, NJ, the trail can be a better alternative. The shoulder of SR 29 (especially heading north) can be strewn with gravel from broken road patching and small tree branches.

Offline dwrz

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49:11 am »
Thanks, indyfabz. I might try to ride a good portion of the main canal this Saturday, just to give it a look before the more intensive trip over Easter Break. I will make sure to post back with my findings if/when I do.

Update: I rode the whole length of the trail on knobby 32mm tires. For me, it was not a problem. I imagine a mountain bike would be more comfortable. I rode over the cobbled sections, except for the first/last one at New Brunswick, with water cascading over it. It's a great ride!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:25:44 pm by dwrz »