Author Topic: Any Wyoming riders out there?  (Read 641 times)

Offline Bclayden

Any Wyoming riders out there?
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:47:30 pm »
I asked a vague question about my route a few months ago and got no response so hoping if I supply more info it might get me a few tips?

Following the Pony Express route Credit Card style in July from SLC-Scottsbluff, NE and looking for help.  It's a roundabout route to stay true to the PE but road riding options are sometimes limited. 

So you know I completed the Sacramento-SLC portion of this ride last year so not worried about extreme July heat at 7000' but I suppose anything is possible when it comes to weather

Route runs:

SLC-Evanston: Emigrant Canyon Rd-Chalk Creek Rd-Yellow Creek Road.  6 miles dirt.

Evanston-Farson:  4 miles on US 80 (yikes), 189 to Kemmerer, then 372 to Lower Farson Cutoff Rd.

Farson-Lander:  Hiway 28.

Lander-Alcova: 287 to 220

Alcova-Douglas: 220 to Douglas then Old Glenbrook Hiway to join Tank Farm Rd.

Douglas-Scottsbluff, NE:  Not sure about a route yet.

Any and all advice is welcome.  Thanks.

-Ben

Offline John Nelson

Re: Any Wyoming riders out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »
I rode part of your route in 2011, in the other direction.

There is only one place to stop between Kemmerer and Farson, a gas station with an attached convenience store. Carry plenty of water. The last 30 miles into Farson on Highway 28 are delightful and you'll probably see some antelope. There's a great general store in Farson with excellent ice cream, one small restaurant and a gas station, but nothing else. You'll probably have to deviate a bit off route to Eden to find some place to stay. I was camping so I slept behind the general store.

Lander to Farson was perhaps the hardest day I've ever had on a bike. The climb out of Lander was never-ending, and the wind was against me all day. But you're going the other direction, so it will be delightful. There is only one place to get water between the two cities, at a highway rest stop. Carry plenty of water again. The final miles into Lander are relentless rolling hills. You'll find everything you could possibly want in Lander.

Offline Bclayden

Re: Any Wyoming riders out there?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 08:58:38 pm »
Thanks for the input John.

I'm accustomed to riding 100+ miles a day with enough water.  Not a problem.  Downside is I am "credit card" camping so no option to stop for the night until I reach my motel.  I have booked all overnights including in Farson and Alcova at the only option in each town.

Anyway, good to know a bit more about the route.  It doesn't seem very popular however.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:07:42 pm by Bclayden »