Author Topic: Southern Tier ¿early Fall?  (Read 968 times)

Offline alvarovalino

Southern Tier ¿early Fall?
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I'm a rookie ;)

I'm planing to do the Southern Tier ACA route this fall. Starting late september and probably ending by late October.
Do you think is a good idea to go form East to West (Florida-California) to avoid the hot in the west dessert? How are the dominate winds? Would I have to suffer headwinds?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Offline John Nelson

Re: Southern Tier ¿early Fall?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:31 pm »
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Not only are the hot deserts in the west, so are the cold mountains. You'll have about equal headwinds and tailwinds no matter which way you go, although you'll think you had more headwinds. One reason for this perception problem is that crosswinds feel like headwinds, and tailwinds feel like calm.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:12:52 am »
You better be stronger than the wind and smarter than the weather to knock out 100 + miles a day on average. It can be done and has been done, but it isn't a leisurely tour. It sounds more like a race. What kind of bike and gear are you using?

You will have winds coming and going from and to every point on the compass. E to W might be a more favorable direction, but one never knows for sure how and how much the wind will blow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:01:44 am by Westinghouse »

Offline travelinjo

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:18:30 pm »
I live in the desert and the prevailing winds tend to be from west to east. Good luck on your trip---enjoy every second; you will see quite a variety of terrain, flora, and fauna!
Yay!!
Jo