Author Topic: Packing for flights  (Read 1221 times)

Offline vinsong

Packing for flights
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:52 am »
Hi,

The question I have is, what is the best way to pack your gear for flights. I plan to use a cardboard box for my bike,

but for the rest of my stuff, I am not sure of the best way to packing them. Do I put them in a luggage holdall and send

the holdall back after I arrived at destination? Do I use bin bags and wrap them it with duct tape? I am totally clueless

on the common methods.

Offline BikeFreak

Re: Packing for flights
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »
Last year I pedaled the Transam. I'm from Europe and I go quite lightweight which means I only use rear panniers and a roll for the tent. Here is what I did:

In the cardboard box with the bike I also stuffed all metal parts such as tools, knives etc in the water bottles. I also put my roll with my tent as cushioning in the box to avoid a damaged bicycle at arrival. I think I also put my sleeping bag and mattress in the box. The trick is to put all the bulky stuff in the box and place it where it will cushion the bike. If needed put plastic bags around if your bike is dirty. Of course when doing this, observe the 50 pounds max limit.

I was able to put the remaining stuff into just 1 of my rear panniers which acted as my carry on luggage. Then a hip purse/bag for all my essentials and wearing my fleece/jacket if it should get cold during the flight. Wearing the fleece/jacket will again displace a lot of volume from your bags.

Lucas

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »
A lot depends on how much you are carrying.  I have done a few different things.  My favorite way for getting to the tour is to buy a suitcase at a thrift store  for $6-7 and dispose of it at the destination.   Other times I used a cheap collapsible duffel bag.  I have generally found them at Walmart.  I have even carried one along on the tour and used it to get home as well, but only because I didn't get around to mailing it home.

When I packed really light I was able to fit my bike and a lot of my gear in a bike soft case with the remainder in a little backpack small enough to be used as "personal item".  I mailed the soft case home when my trip was point to point and on a loop trip it stayed with a warmshowers host.  I could actually fit all my gear in the soft case and stay below the 50 pound limit if I didn't go crazy with cardboard and other padding inside the case.  I just couldn't bring myself to leave out the several pounds of cardboard though.

I have also packed my gear in a cardboard box.  The airline made me sign a waiver that they were only liable for loss, but not damage.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:47:48 pm »
My favorite is the cardboard box. It comes in any size you want, is usually free and is easy to dispose of. Use a sturdy one.

Offline BikeFreak

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:55:54 pm »
Use a sturdy one.
Agree on that one.

I would say that 90% of all bike boxes are flimsy, soft ones. Go to a high end bicycle dealer who sells Cannondale bikes or similar. They have really sturdy boxes and they are also larger.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
Use a sturdy one.
I would say that 90% of all bike boxes are flimsy
I wasn't talking about the bike box--I was talking about the gear box.

Offline LARRYL05

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »
I went to a Thrift Shop. Bought a used suitcase for $10. Put all my stuff in there that would not fit in the box. When I got to LA I gave the suitcase to the housekeeper to keep. When I got to SF I picked up a cheap  bag from a street vendor and home  I went.