Bicycle Travel > Connecting ACA Routes

Missoula to the Pacific

(1/2) > >>

SlowAndSlower:
I would appreciate opinions on these routes to the Pacific from Missoula.

* Stay on the TransAm to Florence, OR.
* Louis and Clark to Astoria.
* MT 200 to Sandpoint and take the Northern Tier west to the Pacific.Important to me is scenic and secondary is distance as I may be in a time crunch at that point.

staehpj1:
Of the two I have only ridden the TA so I can't compare.  I will say that the TA was nice there.

John Nelson:
Once you get to Missoula, you can ask the pros. But the L&C is quite a bit shorter than the TA.

adventurepdx:
I think a lot more may have to do with where you want to end. All three routes get you to "the coast". But the L&C and TranAm get you to Astoria, Oregon, which is less than 10 miles from the actual Pacific. The NT ends in Anacortes, Washington, which is on the Puget Sound, not the actual Pacific Ocean. To get to the actual Pacific from there would require a ferry ride and a few more days of riding.

I've ridden the NT to Missoula, but went through Spokane and then used the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes to get to Missoula, so I can't speak on using MT 200.

indyfabz:
If you have the time, I would follow ACA's Great Parks from Misoula to Whitefish/Columbia Falls and pick up the Northern Tier there. If you have even more time, I would go east on the NT to Glacier National Park, spend a day riding up and back down the west side of Goint to Sun Road and then head back west on the NT. Once you get near Anacortes you can ride south to Seattle, which is, obviously, a major transportation hub.

The NT is different riding than thet TA west of Missoula. A lot of the OR mileage is through high desert.  It can get crispy critter hot with little shade. You will have more forest on the NT, although it can get very hot east of the Cascades, too.  The stretch between Winthrop, and Tonasket was very warm and arid even in early June.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version