Author Topic: Salt Lake City to Salmon ID  (Read 833 times)

Offline Sachelis

Salt Lake City to Salmon ID
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:42 pm »
I've been trying to find a route from Salt Lake City, Utah to Salmon, Idaho and I wonder if anyone's ridden that section. I've spent hours with Google Maps street view...

In the Big picture, I can't tell if it's better to go by American Falls Reservoir (west of Pocatello, ID) or to stay west and go through Rupert and then up through Hailey and Ketchum. Everything south of Hailey's latitude, regardless of which of these two waypoints I take, looks pretty bleak (fenced off sagebrush with minimal access to wild camping and water).

In the Little picture (i.e., getting out of SLC), it looks like hwy 89 to Ogden, maybe cross a causeway before Bear River Bay, go by the Golden Spike, and then take whatever smaller roads I can (with a section of hwy 84, I think) to reach either of the above two waypoints (i.e., Hailey or American Falls).

Thanks for any insights.

Offline JMilyko

Re: Salt Lake City to Salmon ID
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:24:21 am »
Hi Sachelis,

You might want to compare your routing to what Idaho and Utah show on their cycling-specific maps:

Idaho: http://itd.idaho.gov/bike_ped/index.htm

Utah: http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100:pg:0:::1:T,V:11,

Hope this helps,
.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Sachelis

Re: Salt Lake City to Salmon ID
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »
Thanks Jennifer. Those maps helped. The challenge is, they tend to only show major roads. Also, they emphasize shoulder-width whereas I'll take no shoulder on a rural road over a wide shoulder on a freeway. I'm now thinking I'll go up through Hailey and Ketchum. The roads may be narrower, but the scenery more beautiful. I'm not leaving until June, but I'll try to post my route when I return.