Author Topic: Southern Tier starting April 17th, Tempe to Austin.  (Read 645 times)

Offline AKbiker

Southern Tier starting April 17th, Tempe to Austin.
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:30:58 pm »
Greetings, 

I am planning on a solo tour on the ACA’s Southern Tier route from Tempe to Austin starting on April 17th.  I will be packing camping gear and intend to camp as often as possible.  I live in Alaska and am a little concerned about the desert heat.   How many miles can I expect to average a day?   I have only one bike tour under my belt (Fairbanks AK to Prudhoe Bay AK, averaged 37 miles/day) but that was 15 years ago and on gravel.  I am in 44 now and in good not great shape. 

Has anyone ridden this stretch this time of the year?  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,  AKbiker

Offline bobbys beard

Re: Southern Tier starting April 17th, Tempe to Austin.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:16:00 am »
its pretty hot out there in arizona right now (90+ at midday) but i think if you set off at sunrise you will be quite comfortable in the desert. it takes a little while to adjust to heat, so don't push yourself too hard right away. make sure you have plenty of fluid and just be sensible about your daily ambitions. 

on the plus side, camping out will be quite comfortable this time of year, so you should be able to sleep well ;)

plan each day just a little bit and you'll be fine :)

Offline John Nelson

Re: Southern Tier starting April 17th, Tempe to Austin.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:06:32 pm »
You need three things to survive in the desert:
1. Water
2. Water
3. Water

Carry twice as much water as you think you need. Water is not just the difference between being thirsty and not. It is sometimes the difference between life and death.