Author Topic: Southern Tier  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Mark Baker

Southern Tier
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:57:38 am »
Hi all, first post here. I am riding the Southern Tier leaving Phoenix the first week in Sept. I live in Sun City Az. so realize the temps. That's why I'm riding from home and not San Diego. I am riding solo and self contained, either camping, Warm Showers or the occasional motel. My concerns are the long stretches w/o any services and "Stealth" camping. I've camped all over the US but never off just the side of the road. Last summer I road the Grand Canyon Connector and the Oregon Coast but stayed in mostly St Parks or WS. I'm 60 and in reasonably good shape and plan to ride 30-50 mi per day. Any advice would be most appreciated. I do have my ACA maps.

Mark 8)

Offline dkoloko

Re: Southern Tier
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:24:28 am »

Offline bobbys beard

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 02:02:15 am »
you'll get used to the camping. i took a rug and slept under the stars most nights (when it wasn't raining)  it was too hot to be in a tent.

actually amenities aren't as far between as you might think, but it's a good idea to carry extra rations and water at all times. don't rely on the aca maps for service locations, as many are closed.

Offline aggie

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 01:08:28 pm »
There were only a few places where I found services to be few and far between.  You may want to try a couple of detours from the ACA route.  One is from Safford, AZ to Silver City, NM.  Instead of the ACA route follow hwy 70 all the way to Lordsburgh, NM.  The road is good and there are limited services in Duncan along the way.  Then take hwy 90 up to Silver City to rejoin the ACA route.  The other detour is taking hwy 90 from Van Horn, TX.  The road is good with little traffic but there aren't any services between Van Horn and Marfa so carry everything you need for the approximately 75 miles.   As was mentioned earlier there are few spots where you will travel more than 40 miles between services and those are indicated on the ACA maps.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:43:43 pm »
There were only a few places where I found services to be few and far between.  You may want to try a couple of detours from the ACA route.  One is from Safford, AZ to Silver City, NM.  Instead of the ACA route follow hwy 70 all the way to Lordsburgh, NM.  The road is good and there are limited services in Duncan along the way.  Then take hwy 90 up to Silver City to rejoin the ACA route.  The other detour is taking hwy 90 from Van Horn, TX.  The road is good with little traffic but there aren't any services between Van Horn and Marfa so carry everything you need for the approximately 75 miles.   As was mentioned earlier there are few spots where you will travel more than 40 miles between services and those are indicated on the ACA maps.
I agree with Aggie on all of that.  I will add that we departed for the AC mapped route on other sections as well.  I think if doing it again I would ride of US 90 a lot more.  I suspect that riding US 90 for most of it's length would be a pretty good route.  It is relatively lightly traveled most of the way.

I also rode I-10 a good bit even where AC avoided it and would do so again, but I know that the interstate isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Offline Mark Baker

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:12:21 am »
Many thanks to all who responded with good ,sound advise. I will adjust my route accordingly  to the advise. I have no problem doing 75 mi every now and then just not daily. Still appreciate anyone who wants to add any detail in regards to the ACA maps and detours.

Mark