Author Topic: Tips For Cycling From Patagonia Along PanAM Hwy  (Read 892 times)

Offline mrzz1

Tips For Cycling From Patagonia Along PanAM Hwy
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »
mrzz1 avatar

Apr 15, 2013 4:35 PM

Help: Want to Cycle From Patagonia and Follow PanAM Hwy North!
I want to start near Southern tip of Argentina and bike as far as possible in 89 days. I need to get plane tickets for mid-Dec to mid-Feb 2014... but have major questions.
#1: Not sure which cities would be smartest to fly in/out of. I've gone XC-USA on nice roads, not lots of elevation... not sure if 3-4000 miles in 2 1/2-3 months is reasonable to cycle for Argentina and Chile... with rougher roads and more elevation climbs.

#2: Does anyone know of a good source for bike maps with camping sites/elevation marked?

#3: Is mid-Dec. a good time to start weather wise and do MOST winds flow Southeast? Prevailing winds would be nice!

#4: If you are a biker, can I just put heavy duty tires on my touring bike and be okay?

REALLY APPRECIATE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS SOME SOLID ADVISE!  8) 8)

Offline kevinjmireles

Re: Tips For Cycling From Patagonia Along PanAM Hwy
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
It's been many years since I cycled in Patagonia but here are a few words of advice.
1. The winds from Punta Arenas to a little South of Esquel are brutal. Gusts up to 100MPH aren't uncommon and windspeeds of 50MPH are normal - and they flow west to East so be prepared to be knocked off your bike on a regular basis.
2. The Panamerican highway is mostly just a busy highway between Puerto Monnt and Santiago. However there are all sorts of awesome trails and roads that loop through the Andes and along the coast that are much more interesting and feature breathtaking scenery. If I were you I'd probably start in Puerto Monnt and head south along the Carretera Austral to it's furthest point, then take a boat back and then do a series of loops back and dorth across the Andes.

You can't really go wrong doing that as the scenery is beautiful and the people are wonderful.