Author Topic: Copilot Live  (Read 1423 times)

Offline SlowAndSlower

Copilot Live
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »
I have loaded version 9.x on my Droid Razor Maxx and added the ACA TransAm GPS route from Yorktown to Chester, Ill and everything seems to be in place for navigation. I was wondering if anyone else has actually used Copilot Live and the ACA GPS data.

Offline mdxix

Re: Copilot Live
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:53:35 pm »
Please do post feedback about your experience with using the phone on a tour & this specific app.

Is this for use for continuous navigation or occasionally at certain intersections? For the former, I am curious how are are planning to manage using the phone in wet conditions, and keeping it supplied with battery power all day.

As for the app, please post some information about loading it with the GPX files, and how it navigates them. Did you use the GPX files as is or manipulate them? How? Looking at CoPilot manual, I did not see much information about importing GPX files. There were some discussions on forums, but did not find definite answers.

Offline SlowAndSlower

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:15 am »
I used this http://asphaltsea.org/co-pilot-for-android-import-procedure as a general  guide which uses http://www.routeconverter.de/home/de for converting GPX to .TRP.

But first I used my own map editor to reverse the direction (east to west) of the ACA GPX routing and then copy and append the segments as a single route to a kml file. I had to split the route as I bumped up against some limit with RouteConverter.  Hence Yorktown to Chester.

CoPilot downloads a base map to your device so you can navigate without an internet connection. I'm pretty fair at navigation, if I know where I am and where north is so I don't need turn by turn directions. I don't plan on using it every day let alone all day. But in towns it might be nice to use turn by turn navigation.

The point about battery life seems to be the Achilles heel of the smartphone unless you go the distance and get a hub generator/charger. The Droid Razr is fairly water resistant but there are cases to storm proof them. Lot of smartphone bicycle/motorcycle mounts too.

Now how it navigates them was the crux of my OP. I would like to know before I get to Yorktown to try it.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:34 am »
CoPilot downloads a base map to your device so you can navigate without an internet connection. I'm pretty fair at navigation, if I know where I am and where north is so I don't need turn by turn directions. I don't plan on using it every day let alone all day. But in towns it might be nice to use turn by turn navigation.

Turns are the strength of the AC maps, of course, but don't discount GPS assistance.  Country roads in eastern Kentucky, in particular, are like "a maze of twisty little passages, all different."  Just because you started up a road going northwest doesn't mean your next right turn won't see you going south.

Offline SlowAndSlower

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:45:52 pm »
CoPiot Live was not used to any great extent as the native Map app with offline store maps was sufficient and I understood how to use it. CoPilot Live was okay if I need to go some where from where I was at the time. But I didn't use the navigation just the map routing view.

Western Kentucky didn't seem to be a problem for me without a GPS unit. However from Sebree to Carbondale I took the "shortcut" KY 56 - IL 13.