Bicycle Travel > General Discussion

The importance of always wearing a helmet

(1/4) > >>

Matt Sarad:
Greetings everyone. This is my first post and it is all about wearing a helmet.

Two summers ago I rode the Oregon Coast Trail by myself as my first tour. With too much gear on my LHT I worked hard. The first day I went down just through the first tunnel headed south after hitting the curb on a narrow bridge. The bike and I landed in the middle of the road. Luckily, I had on my stoutest Specialized helmet and got right up. Thankfully, there was no traffic for five miles from either direction. I had no more falls and had a fabulous trip of 400 miles solo.

I planned to start from Seattle this summer and add some mileage. Not this year.

Well, since I had a serious wreck a month ago without a helmet, I am off of work, healing a broken collar bone, five broken ribs, and some head trauma. I was coming down a hill near a campground where I was car camping on my old Stump Jumper. The ride up was slow, and the ride down was fun at 20+ mph. Unfortunately there was no speed limit or road bump sign on the road, so I became airborne when hitting it.

Had I had a helmet on, my head injuries would not be as severe. Considering I had ridden 72 miles a few days before on my road bike with proper Lycra, jacket, and helmet, not having a helmet was a poor idea. I will always wear one from here forward.

So, if you don't always wear a helmet, consider what might go wrong physically and mentally.

I wish you all safe, fun, and rewarding riding.

Thanks,

Matt

John Nelson:
Good story, but helmet discussions, like iPod discussions, never end until somebody locks the thread.

johnsondasw:
And make sure it fits snugly.  I got a bad concussion when wearing a helmet that was loose and slipped back as I fell so I landed hard on the pavement right ablve the right eye.

Pat Lamb:

--- Quote from: Matt Sarad on April 22, 2013, 12:39:55 pm ---I am off of work, healing a broken collar bone, five broken ribs, and some head trauma.

Had I had a helmet on, my head injuries would not be as severe.
--- End quote ---

Gotta wonder, if you had been wearing a helmet, would you be off work with only a broken collar bone and five broken ribs?

Matt Sarad:
Hard to say.

I hope to be on a bike by the middle of June. With a helmet for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version