Author Topic: Route Suggestions  (Read 784 times)

Offline Hazardman11

Route Suggestions
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:48:26 am »
I live near Portland Oregon I am planning a 1000 bike trip with a buddy in July.  I have no preference where we go, I just want a memorable ride.  I want to start from home and end 1000 miles away.  I am lucky and have my wife following us in an RV so lodging is not an issue.  We are currently planning on heading south on the pacific coast route to San Francisco and I even ordered the map. I'm a little concerned about the traffic though an earlier post says its not an issue until past the California border.  Anyway, I just wanted some opinions on if it would be better to head north or east or stick to the current plan to head down the coast.  Thanks in advance for the advice. 

Offline bobbys beard

Re: Route Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:32:07 am »
i encountered a few aggressive drivers in south oregon, but i don't have any memories of bad traffic in california, aside from LA and San Diego, but cities are always a bit stressful.

the coastal route is sometimes narrow and steep with blind corners, but it's also peaceful and you can usually hear an oncoming vehicle a long way off.

go for it. the northern cali coast is one of my favourite rides :)

Offline Patco

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 09:38:19 pm »
To specifically address your question - the coast ride is always nice and living in Portland you know the weather issues you may face in July on the northern and central Oregon coast. East from Portland would be vastly different but I also very much enjoy that ride, particulary through Oregon. I like the high desert side of the Cascades, and there is minimal traffic. Again, in July it will be warm. Whichever direction you take, you might wish to follow the ACA route for those thousand miles. 

Let me add that the California coast, particularly from Fort Bragg south to the Central California coast, can be foggy and cool in that time of year. You know the saying from Mark Twain, the coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco. And Route 1 is narrow, very narrow, and twisting in Sonoma county.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:46:29 pm by Patco »

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 11:18:17 am »
I'd head south along the coast.  It is a beautiful ride.  I will say that having an RV along would suck much of the joy from the trip for me.  Half the fun of the route is staying in the hiker biker sites and hanging out with the other riders in camp.  Do pick up the free ODOT bicycle map for the Oregon Coast.  Local shops have them and I think you can find it online.  I actually liked it better than the AC map for that section, but it was handy to have both.

If you are especially traffic squeamish and/or like dry country, going east might be better, but the coast isn't that bad traffic wise in my opinion.  Going east, once over the Cascades it is pretty much desert.  If you want to go East following the Trans America might be a good way to go.  McKenzie pass was nice as were some of the other highlights of the area.

I have ridden between Seattle and Astoria on the AC version of the Pacific Coast route and did not care for that section.  It was just OK at best.  There is probably a better route north, but I don't know since I have not ridden any other ones there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:19:55 am by staehpj1 »

Offline Hazardman11

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:32:22 am »
Thanks for the responses.  Funny that after I posted this question, some friends invited us to sun river and we are considering starting from there and heading to crater lake then cutting over to the coast.  I'm familiar with the north Oregon coast and not too familiar with south central Oregon so I think this has potential since it will be new territory to explore.  I love the planning and having a blank canvas so many options!