Bicycle Travel > Gear Talk

Ultra Light TransAm Ride

(1/5) > >>

christof:
Hi folks.  I'm planning my first TrasAm ride.  Hoping to go ultralight.  Will ride a modified Specialized Tricross with panniers.  I have no comfort/weather/sleeping issues.  Willing to sleep on rocks and eat peanut butter.  Looking for any and all suggestions.  Thank you!

staehpj1:
I wrote an article about my adventures in going from 45 pounds of gear to about 10 pounds of gear (in several stages).  Folks tell me they have found it useful so it might be worth checking out.  Also if you have more specific questions, please post them and you will likely get more feedback than with such a general post.

e46rick:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

This is a link to a backpacking website but much of the info is valuable for bike touring as well.
In general, lighter gear means more expensive gear.  But worth it IMO.

staehpj1:

--- Quote from: e46rick on April 30, 2013, 09:27:56 am ---In general, lighter gear means more expensive gear.  But worth it IMO.

--- End quote ---

To some extent, but really you can lose the majority of the weight without going to a lot of expensive specialty items.  I could get to 6.5 pounds of base gear weight (everything including bags, gear, and clothing, but excluding bike, food water, and fuel).  That doesn't include 1 pound of tools and spares that always stays on the bike (I include that in bike weight not gear weight).

That would be if I left all of my luxury items home.  In reality something in about the 10 pound range is what I wind up with.

That is with no fancy Cuben fiber stuff, but some cottage industry items in more economical materials.  Total gear cost comes in at something in the $1000 neighborhood, but I once did a list that could be had for about $300, assuming the user already owned clothing, that managed to go pretty light.  The last few ounces that I could save by buying a buch of higher dollar stuff are not worth the cost to me.

bogiesan:

--- Quote from: staehpj1 on April 30, 2013, 07:42:45 am ---I wrote an article about my adventures in going from 45 pounds of gear to about 10 pounds of gear (in several stages).  Folks tell me they have found it useful so it might be worth checking out.  Also if you have more specific questions, please post them and you will likely get more feedback than with such a general post.

--- End quote ---

Buddy, post the link!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version