Author Topic: Florida to Ohio routes? maps?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Marty

Florida to Ohio routes? maps?
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
I will be riding tour bike this summer:  Jacksonville, Fla to Columbus, Ohio.

Appreciate any route, map, camping information and suggestions.

Especially map/route information. 

Will be camping, motels, stealth camping....

Thanks for the help

Marty

Offline JMilyko

Re: Florida to Ohio routes? maps?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:34 am »
Hi Marty,

I don't know if there is anything in our route network you will want to use but you can download a pdf of it to see:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/

The next thing I'd recommend is to get in touch with the bicycle coordinators for the states in which you will be traveling through and need routing. Many have online resources as well as printed materials. Nearly every state publishes a bicycle map of some sort that they will send out for free and the coordinators often have more information they can distribute for no charge as well. And while the maps aren't as detailed as ours, they generally offer suggested roads for cycling through their state. Here is a link to the contact information for all of the bicycle coordinators:

http://www.walkinginfo.org/assistance/contacts.cfm

Best,
.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Ebtbmt

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »
Jenifer,  Regarding your reference to contacting the state coordinators, I would just add that in anticipation of a winter bike ride in Florida that only partially includes ACA maps, I contacted Florida cycling (not sure if the name is exactly correct) for recommended routes and was simply told to refer to Adventure Cycling webpage.  I don´t know if other states are like this but Florida was simply very disappointing in helping me.

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:15:19 am »
I'm sorry to read that you didn't get the additional information for cycling in Florida at that resource that you needed.

Also, it looks like the page I directed you to earlier has changed. If you now go to http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/state.cfm you can select Florida from the dropdown menu and see a number of resources below the contact information that might be more helpful.

Best,
.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:31:24 pm »
Once you have a general idea of a route, you can use Google Maps to find campground and other lodging. Pick some intermediate towns and search for "campgrounds near [name of town]. Zoom out or pick another location if nothing shows up. I have been planning a ride across PA partially using the maps for PA Bike Route V. While the maps show state parks where there may be camping, the maps contain no other information on the subject. I have been using the above method and marking the locations of the campgrounds with a "CG" on the relevant map segments. You can then use the lodging information tohelp design the precise route.

Just be careful. Mobile home parks often show up in the results.