Author Topic: B-17 with Aerotech Bibs  (Read 858 times)

Offline KneeDrachen

B-17 with Aerotech Bibs
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:30:49 am »
I've read the praise and criticism of the B-17 and Brooks saddles in general.  I've read quite a bit of Q&As on Brooks as well, but none have helped me with this.

On my other bikes, I use Selle Italia Max Flight saddles; the Sojourn came with a B-17.  I followed the directions on using Proofide to the T.

Lo and behold, when I wear my Aerotech bibs, I get a nasty abrasion in the perineal area.  I know the the Brooks takes time to break in and this doesn't happen on the Max Flight saddles which has a huge relief cut-out.  I wasn't sure if this was a need for the leather to soften around the 3 holes in the center of the B-17 or what.

Is this the result of the B-17 not being broken in yet or is it due to the seam running down the center of the shorts, under the chamois?  I do not have an sit bone pain from, thigh rubbing etc.  I have half a mind to swap saddles since I know the Selle Italia works for me and started to experiment with shorts could get expensive...

Offline Pat Lamb

Re: B-17 with Aerotech Bibs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
I know nothing about Aerotech bibs, but if they have a seam running down the center of the chamois, that's just asking for trouble.  Sounds to me like you got incredibly lucky having a saddle with a hole for the seam to fit in.

Offline KneeDrachen

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:55 am »
It's a flat, but VERY wide seam; interestingly enough I have some Primal Wear (that are too big for me now) shorts that have a much smaller seam as do my Pearl Izumi thermal knickers and Gore bib tights.

I couldn't quite understand the design with the really wide seam on the bib shorts as it would seem (no pun intended) to create a problem.

Offline Old Guy New Hobby

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:11:52 am »
I rode a Brooks for a year with no problem. Suddenly I started getting abrasion on my thigh.  I found I had set the saddle with the nose a little to high. I leveled the saddle and haven't had a problem since. I sit pretty far back on the saddle, which keeps my weight on my sitz bones where I want it.

I'm pretty sure your issue has nothing to do with the proofide. That helps the saddle conform to your sitz bones more quickly.

The Brooks has an awesome reputation. I love mine and wouldn't change it. But there is no such thing as a saddle for everybody. If you like the Italia Max Flight, why not use that?

Offline KneeDrachen

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:34:47 am »
I was fit with the Brooks and it's level.  After some trial and error, it's the seam on the Aerotech bibs.  I tried about my Bontrager, Specialized, Primal shorts and my Gore bib tights and PI bib knickers and zero problems.  I'm guessing since the Selle Italia has the relief cut out, the seam never bothered me!

I had considered the Selle Italia for the Sojourn, and its a choice, but if I can get away with a few pairs of shorts, I'd just as soon do that.  Minus the perineal abrasion I have been getting with the aerotech bibs, I like the B17 a lot.

Offline dkoloko

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 11:10:11 am »

On my other bikes, I use Selle Italia Max Flight saddles; the Sojourn came with a B-17.  I followed the directions on using Proofide to the T.

Lo and behold, when I wear my Aerotech bibs, I get a nasty abrasion in the perineal area.  I know the the Brooks takes time to break in and this doesn't happen on the Max Flight saddles which has a huge relief cut-out.  I wasn't sure if this was a need for the leather to soften around the 3 holes in the center of the B-17 or what.

Is this the result of the B-17 not being broken in yet or is it due to the seam running down the center of the shorts, under the chamois?  I do not have an sit bone pain from, thigh rubbing etc.  I have half a mind to swap saddles since I know the Selle Italia works for me and started to experiment with shorts could get expensive...

I have experience with problem.

You say, "when I wear my Aerotech bibs";  change bibs.

If abrasion is more on one side, try slightly offsetting saddle.

Try slight offset from horizontal.

Use ointment, such as Bag Balm. Use hydrocortisone; available without prescription.

Swap for B-17 Narrow.

Have you toured with the Selle Italia? May feel different after many days.