Author Topic: From UK looking to do a solo tour in US for 14 days any suggestions?  (Read 554 times)

Offline Rowdy

Hi guys

I'm 22 from the UK and I am looking to tour the US on my touring bicycle alone sometime next year. I have been thinking of doing a section of the pacific coast route as I would love to see the sights of san fran. Open to other suggestions that has amazing scenery and things to do. I will be camping and riding alone, unless anybody else would be up for joining me I'm happy for people to join me. It is a personal goal of mine to get a little life experience behind me and doing something that will be a challenge but so rewarding at the same time.

Anybody got any awesome routes they have done and would like to share with me, also I will be only touring for from 2 to 3 weeks at a push as I have a young boy and a girl waiting for me and wouldn't want me to leave them for so long.

Thanks

Kieron

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
Re: From UK looking to do a solo tour in US for 14 days any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »
You could do the Pacific Coast from outside of Portland, Oregon to San Francisco in about two weeks (heading southbound). So that indeed is a good option. And the logistics of getting a bike to/from Portland and SF are not that complicated.

If I had two weeks, I'd probably ride the Icefields Parkway and areas around it in Banff/Jasper National Parks. Of course, that is Canada, not the US...

Offline Rowdy

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 03:02:43 pm »
Hi
thanks for the quick reply. I am considering Canada swell, the rockies are must do in my life time.

Whats the camping situation like on the icefields parkway? Stealth or camp site?

Just looking at a route on the icefields parkway street view on google maps looks amazing.

Kieron

Offline adventurepdx

• World Traveler
  • Riding bikes in and around Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:29:04 am »
There are many sanctioned campsites on the Icefields. Stealth camping is typically frowned upon and/or illegal in National Parks (unless it's backcountry, which the Parkway is not.) There is also numerous hostels along the parkway, which are great lodging options. More on them here: http://hihostels.ca/1084/Home/Canada-Hostels/Alberta-Hostels/index.hostel?p=ab

Offline Rowdy

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 05:02:39 am »
Oh right I didn't know that, thanks for the link and the information. The icefields parkway looks awesome and is something I am now considering.