Bicycle Travel > GPS Discussion

Android App to view GDMBR gpx

(1/3) > >>

djbrooks:
I'm looking for an Android App to view the ACA gpx files of the GDMBR, overlaid on a GPS map indicating my position relative to the route. I mainly want to use it when I come into population centers to find my way through and as a supplement to the paper maps. It would be nice to have the offline capability. I've looked at a bunch, but none seem to be satisfactory. Maverick, OruxMaps, Backcountry Navigator, Gpsies, ViewRanger, GPX Viewer, MapswithMe, MyTracks, EveryTrail...none seems to fit the bill. Anyone out there have any experience or suggestions?

mdxix:
What is it about those apps that did not "fit the bill"?

Is it mainly the offline capability? Many apps require internet connection to display the map. Without a data connection, they display the GPX route and your location on a black background without the map (unless some portion of it is already cached in memory). At least this is the case when I tested on iPhone. Does that work for you?

What other features are you looking for?

djbrooks:
#1 priority would be to load the ACA gpx file on the phone and see it on a map with my current location to see if I'm on track. I'd be satisfied if I could only do this when I have an internet signal although it would be nice if I could do it with a GPS signal.
#2 priority would be to have the capability of storing some maps with gpx tracks offline.  I've got Maverick Pro and have imported the gpx files but can't see them when I go to the map.  :(

mdxix:

--- Quote from: djbrooks on June 06, 2013, 09:35:40 am ---#1 priority would be to load the ACA gpx file on the phone and see it on a map with my current location to see if I'm on track. I'd be satisfied if I could only do this when I have an internet signal although it would be nice if I could do it with a GPS signal.
--- End quote ---
I read about the Maverick Pro app you reference. I also watched their instructions video. I do not find any options in it for loading custom GPX tracks.

I searched for other apps that can load GPX tracks. I found the following:

* Map My Ride
* GPX Viewer
I have tried this on my iPhone with two apps. They both seem to work fine without data connection:

* GPX Viewer (this is made by a different developer than the app referenced above for Android)
* Map My RideIn both apps, I followed these steps:

* Loaded multiple files into the app using a data connection
* Turned off mobile data & WiFi
* Navigated the route on the screen, even though in some sections the map was blank as the phone could not download the map data.
Can you try one of those apps? How does it work for you?

--- Quote from: djbrooks on June 06, 2013, 09:35:40 am ---#2 priority would be to have the capability of storing some maps with gpx tracks offline.  I've got Maverick Pro and have imported the gpx files but can't see them when I go to the map.  :(

--- End quote ---
I am not sure how to do that, except trying to cache some maps in memory while using the apps listed for #1 above.

To view maps online, try map apps like TomTom, although this is designed for cars and does not overlay the GPX track.

djbrooks:
I found that if i choose Waypoints instead of Tracks, I am able to see the ACA gpx files in Maverick!

I will try the two apps you suggest also.

I also came across a nice iPhone app call TrackMyTour used by @ridedivide to create an online map of your journey for friends and family to follow along. It's a very nice app. It lets you create Waypoints offline, and submit later when you are connected. It will post to Twitter and Facebook too. Wish it was available in Android.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version