Author Topic: Planning trip from NY to Ca  (Read 610 times)

Offline dwaynebexplore

Planning trip from NY to Ca
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:17:34 am »
Hey all,

So I've been wanted to do this for a while and looks like it's going to happen. I'm doing a solo tour late October taking the TransAmerican Trail from VA and connecting to Western Express to head to San Francisco. My concern is the month I project to leave. I understand it is a bit close to the Colder months but would love some insight on this. Has anyone set out during October from the East Coast traveling this route? Is it safe to travel? All help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline indyfabz

Re: Planning trip from NY to Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:42:34 am »
How cold do you like it? For example, the average high in Durango, CO in November is 45. The avergae low is 21.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »
Your blog will make an interesting read.  If I were locked into that time frame, I'd plan on riding west to east, and keep my fingers crossed.  As planned now, you'll be hitting the Rockies in late November.  It's possible, I guess, they'll have a dry winter, and you'll be able to get through.  Possible, but likely?

First obstacle going east will be getting over the Sierras before snow closes the roads.  Don't know the odds, but they'll be worse in December (going west) than October (going east).  Lather, rinse, and repeat for every pass until you get to central Colorado.

I'd prefer the occasional snowfall in the Appalchians that can close your route (to a bicyclist, with common sense but no chains) for 3-4 days around the end of the year to being holed up in a mountain camp in Utah until the spring thaws.

Note, too, that you'll be down to 9-10 hours of sunlight, while summer tourists can expect 14-15 hours.

Offline dwaynebexplore

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:59:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I've been stationed here in NY and been camping different parts of the Catskills through the winter up until now for the past couple years. While I have experience riding in different weather, I won't let the cold put an anchor on the trip. I plan on spending a week in Colorado at my pals apartment. Then taking off to San Francisco from there. I'm not entirely sure what I'm up against during November and where exactly I'll be while enroute. I'm still working on that and have been reviewing the map a lot.

(Pdlamb) I forgot about the hours I'd have for the sun during the day. I just have to take that into consideration. I do plan on getting a blog going for it as well as film the entire trip.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:48:10 am »
Let me try this one more time...

Some of the roads across the higher passes are likely to be closed.  They will have the beginnings of six to sixty feet of snow on them.  Sometime after they get the first three feet of snow there'll be avalanche zones across the closed roads.  Some of the dropoffs will be marked with poles so the snowplows won't fall off the cliff in the spring.

Have you considered the Southern Tier?  Or dropping down south to the ST from eastern Colorado?

Online jamawani

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:16:30 am »
You are kidding, right?

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:41:41 am »
I plan on spending a week in Colorado at my pals apartment. Then taking off to San Francisco from there. I'm not entirely sure what I'm up against during November and where exactly I'll be while enroute. I'm still working on that and have been reviewing the map a lot.

You keep saying November, but you are starting in late October. The portion of the TransAm from the eastern end to Pueblo is about 2,200. If you average 71 miles/day every day for a full month, with no days off for rest, mechanical problems and/or bad weather, you won't get to Pueblo until late November. Add another week of chilling to that and you are talking about hitting the western mountainous part in December.

Offline dwaynebexplore

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:55:12 pm »
I considered the Southern Tier and getting to eastern Colorado from there. I may be able to depart a month early. I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks. While I really would love to ride along the Eastern Sierra's. I may have to look into alternate routes. Any other suggestions or help in terms of rerouting or is going south is probably my best bet.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:06:18 pm by dwaynebexplore »