Author Topic: Brooks Sadles  (Read 3452 times)

Offline 2riders

Re: Brooks Sadles
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 08:09:31 pm »
Jane, I am one (male) who was unable to ride my Brooks B17 Special.  After much advise from fellow forum members on adjustments etc I ran into medical issues that I just had to pass it on to a friend.  Beautiful saddle.
However, my wife now has a Brooks B17S (woman's version) and she loves it.  It is the only saddle she has been comfortable riding.  She is still in a break in period but has told me she loves it.
Just thought I'd throw this in.

Offline mmounties

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 01:08:55 am »
I knew I like my saddles wider so I opted for a Brooks 67.  Simply LOVE that thing!  I rode 45 miles on it the first time out and it was great.
-- Tina

Offline paddleboy17

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 10:29:09 am »
Jane, I am one (male) who was unable to ride my Brooks B17 Special.  After much advise from fellow forum members on adjustments etc I ran into medical issues that I just had to pass it on to a friend.  Beautiful saddle.
However, my wife now has a Brooks B17S (woman's version) and she loves it.  It is the only saddle she has been comfortable riding.  She is still in a break in period but has told me she loves it.

If your medical issue was prostrate, Monarch Leather in Wisconsin will put a prostrate friendly cut out in.  Monarch Leather is the manufacturer for Selle AnAtomica saddles.  Contact Selle AnAtomica for details.
Danno

Offline 2riders

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 05:56:19 pm »

If your medical issue was prostrate, Monarch Leather in Wisconsin will put a prostrate friendly cut out in.  Monarch Leather is the manufacturer for Selle AnAtomica saddles.  Contact Selle AnAtomica for details.

Medical issue was more complicated than that.  The hardness of the nose of the saddle caused "traumatic epeditamitis" which has sadly forced me to go to a noseless saddle (as recommended by my urologist).  Basically, I busted a you know what.  I am trying out a Nexride seat at this time but may be going to a recumbent in the future.  Funny, I had contacted Selle Anatomica and kept in touch with ideas but any type of nose on a saddle is out of the question.  As I said, my wife sure loves her brooks!

Offline Falconetti

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 12:08:05 pm »
I'm a 54 yr old male and I fitted a Brooks Professional on my tourer after reading the glowing testimonials.     Long and painful story short is that the saddle did well over 1000 miles and never broke in to any significant degree.    In the end I resorted to treating it with neatsfoot oil to soften the leather (not recommended but I was a little desperate by then).    It worked very well and I now have a well fitting saddle which is comfortable for long days with no problems.    I think the B17 being wider would have been a better, more natural fit and would have broken in quicker as a result.     As previous posters have pointed out many women ride Brooks saddles but they tend not to go for the ladies specific models.    The key seems to be getting a saddle which fits the width of the riders sit bones very exactly.   Too wide or too narrow and you are going to put weight on the wrong areas and suffer....trust me !!     If you get the fit right then Brooks saddles can be unbelievably comfortable but it took time and persistence to get there in my case.     

Hope you enjoy your trip

F