Author Topic: Shipping bicycles  (Read 603 times)

Offline Lee Legrand

Shipping bicycles
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »
Hello everyone;

I am getting into loaded touring but I would like to ask question about shipping bicycles when signing up for a tour.  If you ship your bicycles on a AC tour, is their typically someone to receive it or do you typically bring it with you while you go on a trip.  If you have it shipped or bring it with you as part of your luggage, do you typically throw the box away or find a hotel to hold the box for you while you are gone on  the tour?  I am talking about a tour that may last 1 week to 10 days?

Thanks,

Offline John Nelson

Re: Shipping bicycles
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:32 pm »
Most ACA tours start out at a motel, so I would assume you could ship your bike there. Must be quite a challenge, however, for the motel to receive and store so many bikes at one time. Better call and verify. If the motel cannot receive it, a local bike shop almost certainly can (especially if you pay them to put it together for you).

Depending on the airline you choose, it may or may not be a good deal to bring your bike with you on your flight. If you're flying Frontier or Southwest, it is usually feasible to bring your bike on the plane. If you're flying anything else, it may be more economical to ship it. Also, depending on your preferences, it may be more convenient for you to ship it, or more convenient to bring it.

If you're going on a loop tour and book your first and last night with the same hotel/motel, they are usually willing to hold your box. Call and ask. If this is a one-way tour, you'll probably just want to ditch the box.

Offline Lee Legrand

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:43:21 pm »
Thank You very much John,

I was wondering how I was going to make my new adventure work.  The ebox for shipping bicycles seems like the way to go.

Thanks again.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:07:49 am »
The AC tour I rode (Blue Ridge Bliss) had the option of shipping bicycles to a nearby bike shop.  Those who took this route had a support vehicle make the run over to pick them up.  Others flew with their bikes, or drove up carrying their bikes in or on their cars, trucks, SUVs, etc. (parking was available near the start/end of the tour).

If you've already registered, contact your tour leader and ask about handling bikes.  Otherwise, Adventure Cycling can give you some good tips if you email them.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:25:13 am »
If you've already registered, contact your tour leader and ask about handling bikes.  Otherwise, Adventure Cycling can give you some good tips if you email them.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/guided-tours/

Scroll down and you will find an email address to submit your particular question(s).