Author Topic: Havre, MT to Yellowstone: Routing, lodging, eating advice requested  (Read 687 times)

Offline Bud123456789

I am looking for any and all advice on cycle tour from Havre to Yellowstone.
Thanks

Offline indyfabz

Re: Havre, MT to Yellowstone: Routing, lodging, eating advice requested
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:57:14 am »
One of many ways would be to get yourself to Butte, where you can stay in the kitchy motor lodge portion of the Hotel Finlen and eat a myriad of places. From there, take MT 2 over Pipestone Pass to MT 41 to Twin Bridges, where I believe there is a motel. There are also a couple of restaurants Then MT 287 through Sheridan and Virginia City to Ennis, where there is lodging and places to eat. From there, U.S. 287 will take you to U.S. 191, which will take you to W. Yellowstone.  IIRC, there is lodging in the Earthquake Lake area.

For a variation from Butte, take I-15 south for a bit and and then its frontage roads to Melrose, where there is a motel and good restaurant. Just south of town, you turn left onto Melrose-Twin Bridges Rd. (a/k/a Melrose Bench Rd.). It's not paved, but it's really cool back there. 20 miles of nothing but some free range cattle. It will take you into Twin Bridges, where you can pick up the route described above.

Offline jamawani

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:30:14 pm »
You know what they say about Havre - - you can have 'er.
(Poor Havre - frigid in the winter and blistering in the summer.)

Anyhoo - I teach in Montana and live in Wyoming so I know the area well.
US 89 is a superlative ride between Belt (east of Great Falls) and Yellowstone.
I would take US 87 south from Havre to Fort Benton -
Then take Route 228 thru Highwood to Belt - paved all the way now.

There is a back road into Livingston north of the Yellowstone River so you don't have to get on I-90.
Also, you can ride on the east side, Route 540, instead of using the busy US 89 south of Livingston.
Pavement gets a little rough south of Pray, but there are almost no cars.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:14:47 pm »
Whichever route you take, don't even think about riding 191 between Bozeman and the intersection with 287 (just north of W. Yellowstone). It's bad news - narrow, winding, shoulderless, hemmed in by the river and cliffs and full of impatient truck drivers. I rode 191 northward a few years ago and really regret not turning off at 287.