Author Topic: Mapquest Maps/Routes  (Read 1007 times)

Offline beachbm61

Mapquest Maps/Routes
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:19:18 pm »
I was on Mapquest yesterday planning a route to drive our granddaughter home to Oklahoma from Florida.  I noticed the site has a selector to allow selection of bicycle as mode of transport.  Has anyone used this function to plan a bike tour?  BTW, it calculated the same trip by bike as taking 87 hours/ 1261 miles.

Offline dkoloko

Re: Mapquest Maps/Routes
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:18 am »
Apparently they are following Google; good for them. Google bicycle routes are still in Beta, meaning you can use them, but expect mistakes. Accordingly, I expect Mapquest to be farther behind with producing optimal bicycle routes. I do not pay much attention to estimated time to bicycle routes.

Offline mdxix

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »
I find OpenCycleMap.org and OpenStreetMap.org to have an extensive network of trails.

Even better, these maps are available for download to use on the Garmin GPS units. Therefore, I get to match the view on the computer screen when charting the route with the map on my GPS screen when riding.

RideWithGPS allows selecting either of the two maps: OSM or OSM Cycle when charting a route.

Offline Hazardman11

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:20:15 am »
A word of caution, at least for Google bike routes, is that it does not distinguish between paved and non paved roads so if you want paved roads be careful.  Sometimes you can use the satellite view to tell if it is paved or not. 

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:16 am »
A word of caution, at least for Google bike routes, is that it does not distinguish between paved and non paved roads so if you want paved roads be careful.  Sometimes you can use the satellite view to tell if it is paved or not.
And it doesn't always distinguish between roads and rugged hiking trails.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 03:28:58 pm »

Case in point: If you ask Google for a bike route between Twin Bridges, MT and Wisdom, MT, which are both on ACA's Trans Am, the first suggested route (which is also the shortest) sends you on a 20 mile unpaved road between Twin Bridges and Melrose that is rough in places, especially the part where you climb. It's not available on Street View so you have to rely on the satelite image. That image is not definitive. Could be unpaved but also could be light colored paving. Compounding the problem is the fact that Google draws a line on the road even in the satelite image mode. The I-15 through Melrose has an orange tint similar to the organe used in the map image mode.

The second suggested route is the one the Trans Am follows.

Offline Bclayden

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:09:08 am »
I have planned many multi-day rides (non-ACA routes) using Google map.  To add....Satellite View resolution in remote areas can be quite low so hard to determine the road surface.

I have had some luck with Street View feature at the nearest road junction.  If you can get a look at a bit of the routed road from either end it's often possible to determine whether it's paved or not.  Still not fool proof though, I've been surprised by the occasional un-paved section despite careful planning.

Offline jamawani

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
Heck, in the West a number of these routing programs don't even keep you on public roads.  A year or two ago someone on a website insisted he could ride across the Gallatin Range according to Google or Garmin or whoever.  I said that I knew the area and knew that "road" in question was private on private land.  He questioned my experience and extolled the internet. I hope he got arrested - - which would be better than getting shot, I guess.

The moral of the story - these programs may be O.K. for suburban Chicago, but for remote areas, especially overseas, I would be very skeptical.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:05:22 pm by jamawani »