Author Topic: Adirondack Park Route - Need advice  (Read 794 times)

Offline stsharp22

Adirondack Park Route - Need advice
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:27:47 pm »
I will be attempting the route fully loaded in 4 days riding.  I am driving up from PA so the logical thing is to start at the southern end of the spur near Albany (Map #1), but that would be about 400 miles round trip.  If I start in Saratoga Springs instead and skip the spur to Niskayuna (Map #1) then the route is a more managable 360 miles in 4 days.  Are there any "can't miss" sights that I would miss? 

Offline CMajernik

Re: Adirondack Park Route - Need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:06 am »
I don't think so. The reason we included a spur was to connect it to the Albany/Schenectady airport.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Bclayden

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:18:15 pm »
I did the Adirondack Loop in May from/to Saratoga Springs (without the spur) in a counter clockwise direction in 4 days.  Stayed in Ticonderoga, Saranac Lake, and Speculator.  It is all very scenic and the roads are in generally good riding condition.  Quite hilly though..nothing gnarly but at the end of a 100 mile day I felt as though I had climbed several thousand feet.  Never did measure it though. 

Lake Placid was fun but a bit busy.  Saranac Lak,e a bit further along, was a slightly more mellow scene.  Stayed at Gaunthier's Saranac Lake Inn..they have free kayaks to use and explore the shoreline.  Very relaxing after a long day on the bike. 

Near Blue Mtn. Lake is the Adirondack Museum.  Plan to spend a couple of hours here if you like that sort of thing.  A modern and large museum with good exhibits.  I brought a picnic and ate under a shady tree overlooking the valley below.  Very nice.

Other than that small-town-USA is about all you will get.  It's a very seasonal region so most traffic is there during the summer.  I managed to ride my route before the high season but I imagine during the summer the RV crowd will be prevalent. 

Recommend.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:49:34 am »
Yes. There are a good number of RVs during the height of summer. Traffic also picks up noticebaly on the weekends. In '08 I drove home from a tour in PQ in mid-August. Made it was far as Plattsburgh Friday. Started out early Saturday morning for Philly. I could see that the traffic heading north on I-87 above Albany was moving at a snail's pace for a long distance. It might not be that bad to Saratoga Springs, but the point being is that droves of people were heading up that way.

Don't know where in PA you are coming from, but if you have to take the NJ Turnpike on a weekend, brace yourself. I moved at about 10 mph. for close to 2 hrs. that Saturday. No accidents. Simply volume heading to shore points.

Offline stsharp22

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:16 pm »
Thanks to those who replied.  This was my first solo tour and did it solo on Friday 8/9 - Monday 8/12.  Other than rain on Friday the weather was perfect.  Had a shifter cable snap on me about 10 miles east of Keene so after an hour or 2 at a bike shop, I had to take a short cut to Wilmington and missed the scenic ride from Keene to Lake Placid.  I heard the shoulder isn't very wide and the traffic was pretty heavy, so maybe it was for the best.  Did a side excursion up Whiteface on the 3rd day - by far the toughest hill I've ever climbed, but the view and castle at the top was well worth the effort!  Going down though, thought my brakes might give out on me but luckily they held up.   Met some northern tier riders near Blue Mountain who started from Vancouver.  120 miles on day 4 was rough - it felt a lot hillier than the profile indicated!

Can't wait to do another one.  Thinking Green Mountains or Allegheny Mountains and over 5 days instead of 4.  Green mountain profiles appear to have more steep hills with about 2k more climbing and the Allegheny Mountains has about 8k more climbing with numerous monster climbs.   

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 03:33:36 pm »
I did ACA's Cycle Vermont (supported) in 2010, which used a good portion of the Green Mountains Loop including the East Alternative. Yes. There are some hard climbs. Rochester Gap west to east was very difficult even without gear. Middlebury Gap west to east was easier, except for the last segment. Jay Peak was also a good climb, although you can avoid it by going into Canada if you bring your passport. On the flip side, Burlington to Lake Carmi (nice place to camp) was relatively easy, as was Middlebury to Button Bay State Park. Brighton State Park, outside of Island Pond, is also a nice place to camp. Heard and saw some loons there.