Author Topic: Southern Tier Route in winter???  (Read 1346 times)

Offline austincville

Southern Tier Route in winter???
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »
I want to do the Southern Tier route in November/December, but I don't know if there are any stretches on this route where there will be snow (or anything else that would keep me from completing my endeavor so late in the season.

Does anyone have any answers, or know how I could find the answer to my question?

Thanks!!

Offline bobmounger

Re: Southern Tier Route in winter???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:05:10 pm »
I have seen snow in El Paso in mid-late December.  I am tentatively planning to do the El Paso to Austin section starting October 30.

Offline CMajernik

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »
There could be snowy weather especially if storms are rolling through. Normally though the snow won't last, but you might have to sit in a motel for a few days to wait it out. The highest pass on the route in NM stays open all winter and is plowed but there could easily be snow off the road. I suggest you keep checking the weather so you aren't surprised. Also remember that the days are getting shorter so you'll have less hours of daylight to cycle.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline rabbitoh

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 11:27:04 pm »
There is a book written by a Scottish cyclist who rode the Southern Tier W-E, in the winter (2002). He was on Emory Pass about 10 days before Christmas where he had snow, and on the Davis Mountains on Christmas Eve, where he again had snow. He appears to have had cold weather for most of his ride.

His name is Martin Delaney, and the title of the book is "The Crossing" if you are interested.
Good Cycling
Dennis

Offline austincville

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:40:27 pm »
Thanks! I'll check out that book for sure... I really appreciate it!

Offline Glamis Sand Dunes support

• Trail Boss
  • Host/ Meals / ST/ Hwy 78 / El Centro to Blythe
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »
"I want to do the Southern Tier route in November/December, but I don't know if there are any stretches on this route where there will be snow (or anything else that would keep me from completing my endeavor so late in the season."

Which direction are you heading?
Ending up in the Southern California desert in December is a good idea.
Early sunsets like Carla mentioned. Plan to be off the road by 4:30 pm.
We have about 6 weeks of cold weather in the low desert starting in mid December.
Before that it is lovely.
There are some long stretches of no services between Phoenix and San Diego. Up to 68 miles through the desert.
I am a ST host and happy to answer any questions for the route between El Centro to Quartzite, the eastern border of California.
glamis.support

Offline robinverner

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:42 pm »
My wife and I rode out of Austin last early November headed for San Diego on the Southern Tier. The first few days were beautiful. Then we entered the Chiquaqua Desert. It was so  hot and unpleasant that when we got to Del Rio we quit and rented a car. I don't think you'll see snow.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:43:48 pm »
I went from West to East a couple years ago starting in February and the weather was OK.  There was a bit of snow on one pass, but it was all passible.  There was frost quite a few nights and a hard freeze one night.  Overall I thought it was fine weather.