I started the ride @ 10:27 & I rolled into Blanding right at sunset which is @ 7:36 on Sept.9, so around 9 mph for the day. If I recall, I stopped 3 times during the day to eat & refill my water bottles from the water I was carrying. My average speed for the day while riding was 11.6 and actual riding time was 7:45.
I was thinking about my last post and I should have added some items:
1) The thing that made my day so hard was the wind. For all I know I may have hit one of the very few days a year it's coming from the east. If the wind had been coming out of the west, it just would have been another long day on the bike. You can check what the weather is doing in Hanksville and decide on whether you want to go with a Plan B or a Plan C.
2) Plan B can be to go north from Hanksville up to Green River and then over to 191, go thru Moab, and then get back on course @ Monticello. I thought about this but ultimately decided against it because I was going to lose a day and I didn't have one to spare.
3) Plan C will require some checking on your part to see if it's feasible. I believe there is camping on the far side of the lake (this needs to be verified!). I know you're CC touring but I hope you are at least taking along one of those SOL Escape Bivvys with you. Hanksville to Bullfrog is a relatively short day (66 miles). If you check the weather and it looks like the wind is going to be up and out of the east, you leave Hanksville early in the morning, there is a store shortly before you enter the park, stop and get a dinner, breakfast and lunch for the next day as well as a couple of gallons of water and take the last ferry of the day across and spend the night at the campground. I realize what I'm suggesting isn't very appealing but you can get a early start, beat a lot of the heat, and get into Blanding at 4 or 5 and not be spending all day worrying about making it before sunset.
BTW: this is a really cool web site that shows you what the wind is doing anywhere in the US at any given time:http://hint.fm/wind/
FWIW: The wind in that area of Utah is currently dead.
Good luck with your trip,