Author Topic: How to get ACA route on an iPhone GPS  (Read 1381 times)

Offline dhoshaw

How to get ACA route on an iPhone GPS
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »
Has anybody found a way to load the Adventure cycling GPS coordinates (esp. for the Southern Tier) to an iPhone 5; allowing one to use the GPS function of this phone to follow these waypoints?

Offline mdxix

Re: How to get ACA route on an iPhone GPS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:23 pm »
Here are some app options for the iPhone:
  • Galileo Offline Maps & MotionX GPS: display the GPX track with an indicator of my position. There is an option to keep maps in the memory when navigating without internet connection.
  • MapMyRide & GPSies: display the track with an indicator of my position. These apps require that I have the GPX route previously loaded on mapmyride.com & gpsies.com web sites. There is no option to save maps in memory for offline use.

Before you load the GPX tracks, you need to decide what to use. There are at least two options:
  • Raw GPX file from ACA web site, which contain route points at key intersections with straight lines between them. These do not exactly follow the roads. But given that you will have a map in the background, you may be able to follow them just fine.
  • Processed GPX file that you take from option 1 above and edit to create a track following the roads. You can edit the file using Garmin Basecamp, Ride with GPS, GPSies, and other tools.

Offline dhoshaw

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 03:49:26 am »
Thanks for the input.  Yes, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't a perfect solution for using either an iPhone or GPS.  I've decided to go with a Montana 650T using City Navigator as a route director for the streets, with some major changes on both inverting my route (going from Florida to California) and then follow the trails where applicable via US Topo 100k, without any voice commands from the GPS.  This is not what I was looking for, but I really haven't seen an integrated "voice director" for combined trails/streets with either the Apple products for Garmin GPS. 

Offline bike4fun

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 06:05:06 pm »
I use, and really like, the Mapswithme app which uses open street maps data.  What I like most about it is that it downloads maps for entire states or countries on to your phone, so you can use them when you don't have cell service, just gps.  The maps are actually not that large, most well under 100MB, although CA is the largest at 233MB.  I do some manipulations on my computer in other software in order to get exact routes onto my maps, but if all you want is to use the gpx files on ACA's website, which only have the waypoints (may not exactly follow the roads), you can load the ACA gpx file into Google Earth, then save it as a kmz (or kml) file.  You email that file to yourself, and open on your phone to get it into Mapswithme.  The you can see the waypoints in Mapswithme on your phone when you need them.  You can also create paths in Google Maps, save them as kml's and import the same way.  There's a Lite version of Mapswithme that's free if you want to see what the maps look like, the sizes, etc., but in order to import tracks, waypoints, etc, and to get other functionality, you have to get the Pro version, which costs $5.  Well worth it in my opinion.