Bicycle Travel > GPS Discussion

New Garmin Edge Touring

(1/4) > >>

TwoWheeledExplorer:
I like gizmos as much as anyone (except maybe my son-in-law), but it is rare I find one that is a "must have". I have a solid Delorme PN-20 GPS for my MTB, and a Garmin Edge 205 on my Bianchi, Discovery. Today, Garmin revealed something new. In the words of Will Smith at the con of the alien spaceship in ID4, "I gotta get me one of these!": http://youtu.be/MA9V1M2ikqs

Looking forward to actually being able to check one out first hand.

Ride safe,
Hans

DanE:
What I find the most interesting is that Garmin is incorporating OpenStreet Maps into the unit instead of selling their proprietary maps. I think that is a very positive step forward. The other features of the unit look very good as well.

However, it seems to use the rechargeable battery like the other units in the Edge series. I prefer the eTrex series for touring because it uses AA batteries. Then I don't have to carry the charger, I can just pick up a 4 pack of AA's as I go and be good for the week. Just my preference.

Steve All:
I'm wondering if/how the new Garmin Edge Touring allows for updates of its underlying OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.  Can you hook it up to a desktop/laptop via USB cable and slurp up "newer" OSM data from Garmin's web site?  Can you do this wirelessly via Bluetooth or WiFi or maybe a 3G/4G cellular radio chip (the first two maybe, the last one not very likely).  Is there a microSD card that can have newer gmapsupp.img files written into the Garmin folder (and then popped back into the device)?

Or is this device just "stuck" with the OSM data that was fresh a bit before you bought it, but is getting older and more obsolete every single day?  That would be a bummer, considering how lively are bike route updates to OSM.  I don't expect "real-time" updates (I'll fiddle a chip or a wireless/wired via web connection if I have to), but I do want updates.  The biggest bummer would be if Garmin requires money to pay for a subscription to update the OSM data.  Hey!  Those data are cost-free!  Garmin WOULD have the right to do this (you'd be paying for their services for "compiling" the OSM data into a Garmin-specific format, though those tools already exist), but doing so feels like it violates the spirit of the OpenStreetMap project.  Yet, I know Garmin has got to make a profit.  But, Garmin, if you charge for OSM data, might you reconsider -- recouping profit on the device only?  (Leave free data to be free!)

I'm not a lawyer, just an OSM volunteer/contributor.  (Recently finished updating the USBRS in OSM!)

BTW, I'm an owner of more than one Garmin GPS device, and I REALLY do prefer the much-greener NiMH (rechargeable via my solar panels) AA batteries.  If a device doesn't use AAs (and NiMHs well), I might not buy it, and I'm not alone!

TwoWheeledExplorer:
Supposedly, you will be able to update the maps though Garmin Connect or Base Camp. If the battery is like in the rest of the Edge line-up, it's internal and you recharge it through your USB port, a USB plug for the car, or a USB adapter for a wall plug.

Ride safe,
Hans

mdxix:

--- Quote from: Steve All on September 09, 2013, 06:47:52 pm ---I'm wondering if/how the new Garmin Edge Touring allows for updates of its underlying OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.

--- End quote ---
I do not believe this is clear just yet. I have not seen any reference from Garmin to indicate the availability and method for updates.

If updates are available, they will be through Garmin's map update page. The current tool for updating maps on the Edge series is Garmin Express.

Meanwhile, the unit itself accepts SD cards that you can load with new and custom maps.

To load the latest OSM maps on the Touring unit or any other unit for that matter, take a look at these two references:

* ACA Forum discussion
* DC Rainmaker instructions

--- Quote from: Steve All on September 09, 2013, 06:47:52 pm ---BTW, I'm an owner of more than one Garmin GPS device, and I REALLY do prefer the much-greener NiMH (rechargeable via my solar panels) AA batteries.  If a device doesn't use AAs (and NiMHs well), I might not buy it, and I'm not alone!

--- End quote ---
The unit has built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery accordingly to the product specifications page. This is the same for all the Edge series units.

Can you elaborate on your experience with solar panels in this other discussion: Solar Panel - Yea or Nay?? The general feedback was "iffy" at best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version