Author Topic: Western Adirondacks; Out of the loop, but inside the Blue Line.  (Read 478 times)

Offline TwoWheeledExplorer

• World Traveler
  • "I am well, thank God, and in high spirits"
Western Adirondacks; Out of the loop, but inside the Blue Line.
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:35:23 am »
I had just this morning been wondering what NYS Rt. 28 was like for cycling between Thendara and Blue Mountain Lake, but the ACA, unfortunately, left this part of the Adirondacks out of their “Adirondack Park Loop”. I hope to come home from MN for a week or so next year (2014) with my road bike. I went to Adirondack Woodcraft Camps near Old Forge as a kid, almost 50 years ago, and I have felt very attached to the Old Forge-Inlet-Blue Mtn,-Long Lake region ever since. I was even licensed to guide in the Inlet-Moose Lake area. Back in 2005 I had done some mountain biking on the TOBIE trails, re-visiting some of my memories from Woodcraft, fishing in the Moose River, camping at Lake Durant. But I have grown to love bicycle travel and touring and need information on roads in the area. I found a very good article on the "Adirondack Explorer" website. Can anyone else out there give me more insight? http://adirondackexplorer.org/adventure-planner/2007/03/01/fulton-chain-bike-tour/
It's a beautiful area. I hope it's as beautiful a ride.

Ride safe,
Hans
The Two-Wheeled Explorer: Ride the River
www.twowheeledexplorer.org
"Every person has a river to ride...you are to Ride the River."--Pr. Larry Christenson

Offline John Nelson

Re: Western Adirondacks; Out of the loop, but inside the Blue Line.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »
I did it last summer as part of the Northern Tier. NY 28 from Thendara to Blue Mountain Lake is part of the Northern Tier Section 10, although the official route uses S. Shore Road from Old Forge to Inlet. I, however, accidentally missed that turn onto S. Shore Road and stayed on 28 around the north instead of south side of First, Second, Third and Fourth Lakes. It was no problem. I also camped at Lake Durant that night--beautiful campsite on the lake.

Offline mbattisti

Re: Western Adirondacks; Out of the loop, but inside the Blue Line.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:06:08 pm »
rt 28 is the only road thru the area you describe, so it is very busy, especially between memorial and labor day with people vacationing on the multitude of private camps and state campgrounds that line the shores of the fulton chain of lakes.  The road can be curvy, with limited sight distances and poor shoulders in many places.  Speed limit is 55 except when passing thru the hamlets. Fall is a nice time to cycle, although it can get cool (we had a frost last night) and some of the services on the highway completely close down or go to reduced hours after the "summer people" leave. There is a bike path now covering some of the distance between Old Forge and Inlet.

Possibly in a few years, a world class rail trail may be build thru the adironadacks.  The Adirondack Recreational Trail Advocates have successfully petitioned the state to reopen the NYS master plan for the Lake Placid to Old forge railway corridor.  This is currently a very HOT topic in our area, as a scenic RR still uses the tracks on a limited basis, which has a very debatable economic impact on the adirondacks (a region very dependent on recreation and tourism).  To learn more and get involved (and help make the rail trail a reality!) visit   http://www.thearta.org/