Author Topic: MN to AZ  (Read 827 times)

Offline jahp

MN to AZ
« on: September 09, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »
Well well well, hi all! I've made up my mind and I'm riding from MN to AZ to support my foundation Ride For Recovery. I FINALLY have managed to find my way out from the bottom of a bottle and I'm going to make my own little movement to promote serenity and positivity. I've been throwing around now for over a year a cross country ride back home to my son in Phoenix ( being 100% healthy now, mind, body and soul ) and it hit me like a ton of bricks today to get off my arse and do it!! I DO NEED ADVICE PEOPLE, PLEASE HELP. Any and all advice is welcome and I SO thank you in advance and God Speed where ever u go! ( I do have lots of riding under my belt too :)

ONE LOVE
JAHP
 8)xxx

Offline John Nelson

Re: MN to AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:43:41 am »
You've already given yourself the best advice: get off your arse and do it! It's really not that complicated. Set a date. Get the gear. Plan a route (or make it up as you go), choosing the less-traveled roads. Go. You should, however, take a few shorter, shakedown trips before the big one.

Some people like to go into an endeavor like this well planned out. Others like to just let the experience unfold. If you like to prepare, there's plenty of information here in the "How-To" department (http://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/how-to-department/) on how to train, how much money you need, what gear you should take, how to plan a route, how to find food, water and places to sleep, and how to deal with other common problems on the road. You might also enjoy reading about other people's experiences in the many journals over at CGOAB (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/). Both sites are good places to ask questions.

Offline jahp

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »
Thanks buddy, yep, I'm jammin on this and things are rolling, I have to be somewhat planned. I'm going to be speaking at youth treatment centers along the way but still winging it a bit...so stoked! Thanks for tbe reply man!

Offline MrBent

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:38 am »
Congrats on taking control of your life.  A big tour will be one of the next best things you do in this life.  Study those links, do a little test riding, an overnight or two to checkout systems, then just go.  Bike touring is like sobriety:  It's best taken one day at a time.  Tourists sometimes burnout when they try to cover too many miles, do too many back-to-back days.  Try to set up the tour so you're not so tied to a schedule that you can't enjoy it to the fullest.

Get out there and ride--and report back.

Scott

Offline zerodish

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:26:52 pm »
I don't know which route you are planning but cycling on the interstate is generally allowed in Arizona and New Mexico except at a short portion on interstate 25 at the border. When I came to this portion I called 911 and demanded a state police officer show up. He did this and after I chewed him out he said the law was not enforced and the sign banning pedestrians was placed there to avoid liability by the state. I am working on this problem under federal law old roads like 85 are defined as public land and it is illegal to ban the public from public land for any reason. These laws are older than automobiles and traffic is defined as horses wagons and pedestrians. I recently found out that Indiana is aware of the older laws probably after the Amish sued them and the state police have been ordered by the department of transportation not to harass them on portions of the interstate built over existing roads.